What's new

Layers with Alpha, and how to fill

Need help with this please... So I am trying to make a skin (for Second Life avatars) and I want to fill in the edges of a layer that are alpha'd. I remember doing this about 10 years ago (have completely forgotten how to though). I know I can just make a background layer and fill it with a similar/close color...but I'm pretty sure there's a way to have the fill (an auto fill) be on the same layer and have it take the color of the edges of the alpha'd layer so I don't have to choose in the color picker. Not sure if it was a free tool or not, or if it was something already built into PS. If you know, please do reply. Much appreciated. Thank you!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Are you talking about filling in the skin color in the transparent areas?

Screen Shot 2017-06-28 at 9.17.59 AM.png

Use the Brush Tool or the Clone stamp Tool.

There is a thread on this somewhere.

I don't know of a single tool or command that does exactly what you want.

Not sure about why using an Action with additional Layers and Flattening afterwards would be a problem

However to do this in a single Layer:

- Select all transparency with anti alias
- expand selection to include edge effects softening that exist in your image (it is not one consistent color on a pixel basis along the edges)
- Sample the color you want to fill with and Opt+Del (Alt+backspace on PC) to fill the transparency area with the edge fill color you sampled
- Leave selection active and do a guassian blur to the same level you expanded the original selection into the image

Here is what I got with those steps (screen capture to show the selection edge)

Hope this is of some help

John Wheeler

Screen Shot 2017-06-28 at 1.08.00 PM.png

I don't know of a single tool or command that does exactly what you want.

Not sure about why using an Action with additional Layers and Flattening afterwards would be a problem
It's just for the sake of efficiency, that's all and why I asked. I do know how to fill and merge...but with making these skins a few hundred or so a week, it can get tedious.

Thanks all for the answers though :)