What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Levels changing with noise (for star field) on black layer

ibclare

Queen Bee
I'm not sure if this is the fright place, but . . .

I am trying to crate first a basic starfield using noise to begin with. The initial step is, add noise, then levels. I got the effect I wanted in preview while applying level changes but as soon as I clicked OK, the effect disappeared and just left me with a noisier noise, but nothing like what I wanted or expected. I thought maybe if I did it as an adjustment layer I'd get better results, so I tired that, merged the levels layer down, and the same thing happened. :sad:

I was following one of the space effects tutorials and it was working for him and apparently for others on this forum. I hope someone has some ideas about what's up. Here are my results:

Attachments

• leveled.JPG
    leveled.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 0
  • merged.JPG
    merged.JPG
    196.1 KB · Views: 0

iDad

Guru
try lowering the fill opacity?

ibclare

Queen Bee
That's not doing it. It's not like my life won't be complete without a star field in my portfolio (what portfolio?), but it irks me.

ibclare

Queen Bee
iDad, thanks for your reply. I was working with a different tutorial and discovered the problem. The other guy's tutorial must have had a typo! He called for an add noise percent of 100 and it should have been 10. That and he specified uniform versus gaussian. Least he had the monochrome part right.

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
glad you sussed it out clare :D if it helps any try and work with a large canvas.