What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Limiting effect / adjustment to transparent layer group?

qwerty123

I am working with a lot of layers in PS and frequently I need certain adjustments to affect each transparent layer in the group without affecting any groups underneath. Is there a way to do so without resorting to masks? In other words is there a way to group adjustments with particular groups rather than with particular layers?

Did you try clipping layer?

select the layers you want and then right click them and select link layers is that what your after

Yeah, that's a problem to me too sometimes. Linking layers won't help in that. I'm not very good on theory but i think that's because adjustment layers don't change psysical pixels of layer but theoretical output.
Only solution i've found for myself is SHIFT+CTRL+click on layers (or their masks) to make new mask for new adjustment layer.
For me that's a normal and fast, and most important, working solution.

Well, in a way that is what I am asking, is there a way to make the whole group to act as clipping layer...

I guess my question is a bit confusing... I know how to group and link layers but what I am asking is how to make the whole layer group act as as a clipping layer for adjustment effects without resorting to flattening and masking... Thank you for the reply though....

you can always can "apply image" if you click exactly how your picture should have effects on (by eye clicking off the others), do apply image then act your clip to that one ;-) Hope it really depends of kind of layers you have I think the easiest (I never tried it) is :
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by SCTRWD
Put your adjustment layer also in the group and change the group blend mode to normal.

Good luck !

Well, it works with some afjustments while not working with others - for example Levels work fine this way but Solid Color will not.

Well, may be my explanations are confusing... Please recreate the following set up: Background Layer - 50% Gray. Above it Group 1 group with two transparent layers with 50% gray circle on each. Above it one Fill Color adjustment layer with 100% Red. I need this red color to apply to two gray circles in Group 1 without affecting Background. Unless I am missing something SCTRWD advice is not working for this setup.

First off, "Fill Color" - is NOT an adjustment layer. It is just a regular layer (just a regular shape layer, to be precize). So don't expect it to act like adjustment layer.

For your case you can use Hue/Saturation with Colorize option instead of "Fill Color" to color your circles. And again set group blend mode to normal.

Yes SCTRWD is right, you can also blend and color your circles ! again this is not adjustment layer ;-)

Ok, as for Fill Layers:
Why use Fill Layers at all?! That's for kids...:cheesygrin: There is much better solution for such things: add any adjustment layer, say Levels with default settings. Now go to Layer Style dialog for this layer and here you will find everything you need:

Color Overlay style to have Solid Color fill
Gradient Overlay style to have Gradient fill
Pattern Overlay style to have Pattern fill

All in one place and easily manipulated. I usually use them in combination: add Pattern Overlay with some base texture, add Gradient Overlay in Soft Light mode to add some realism, use Color Overlay in Color mode to add the color touch I want for this particular case.

And there is much, much more here: shadows, texture, emboss, stroke, satin...(one minor point though: if PS created your Levels layer with the mask - discard this mask and make your own one instead - Select All, Add Layer Mask. Don't ask why - I don't know, but with the PS supplied mask some styles(like stroke, etc) just don't show up:cheesygrin:)

Now back to your question. All the same - place the layers in the group, change the group blend mode to normal. Now add the Levels layer to the group the way I described earlier, use all the proper styles to get the effect you want.
And one important final touch: check the "Blend Inferior Effects as Group" option in the Blending option section.
Here you go: forget the Fill Layers, use adjustment layers with styles instead, set "Blend Inferior Effects as Group" option:cheesygrin:

Last edited:
Sctrwd great advice mate, but remember no one way is the be all that ends all in Photoshop, you are just making a personal statement that other may dispute or say yeah you are correct BUT...

Thank you for your suggestions and correcting my mislabeling . Your solution with colorize option would certainly work, yet I am looking for general solution for fill layers, regular layers and groups - in essence I want be able to clip effects of one group with the content of another group whether this group contains regular layers, fill layers or adjustment layers. The only solution that I found so far is to turn the whole document with a group into Smart Object and then treat it as regular layer - but this approach messes up my actions and scripts, so I am still looking for alternatives...

Back