What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for plugin; Draw cliparts as if using the brush tool

Daniel Kay

Hi everyone.

I'm asking in the hopes that there is a plugin out there that has this function.
To be more specific, years ago I used an older art program (Picture Publisher if I remember correctly) that had a very useful function. You could put together a cliparts gallery, then in program select that gallery and draw them into the picture by just left click - hold and dragging. It'd randomly select a clipart from the gallery and draw it based on the parameters you have set before (size, angle, spread etc.) just like you'd use the brush tool in photoshop, only as mentioned it'd use clipart images instead of paintbrushes.

This one would be a lot of help for drawing a larger area or piles of objects that need more detail than a brush tip and have a solid fill (doing this with paintbrushes you'd either only have a solid fill with no textures or a texture but no solid fill meaning you see the previously drawn items through the top ones).

And also I do not mean the pattern stamp since that only paints a texture, not objects or cliparts with randomized parameters.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sounds like the Custom Shape Tool.

Choose the Custom Shape Tool..

Screen Shot 2014-12-02 at 12.51.41 AM.png

Click on the shape picker and choose a shape.....

Screen Shot 2014-12-02 at 12.52.07 AM.png

And add the shape to your canvas by clicking and dragging, hold the shift key to maintain proportion and press the spacebar to move......

Screen Shot 2014-12-02 at 12.52.29 AM.png

You can download tons of custom shapes to add to the Custom Shapes Presets.

Last edited:

Daniel Kay

Hey, sadly that's not what I was looking for, however i did dig up a copy of the program so I can show you what it did, it'd still be great to have that function in PS.

The function is called "Image Spray":
is1.jpg

When clicking on the icon a dropdown menu with all the predefined or usermade categories is shown
is2.jpg

This is just clicking and dragging the mouse with the "coins" gallery selected
is3.jpg

Here is the result of dragging the mouse around top to bottom and side to side, it makes it look like a pile of coins arranged randomly.
is4.jpg

Sadly the version I found does not support alternating the angle, scale and spread of the images, but I hope it shows what I meant.

One important bit is that it is actually images and they are drawn into the same layer effectively making one image layer instead of an individual one (like when using the grass brush in photoshop to make a grass effect), thus not blowing up your computer if you try to make an image layer that has a load of tiny cliparts in it.
Also if it did have the randomization in it it'd save you the trouble of having to manually alter every clipart yourself.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
DK said:
Hey, sadly that's not what I was looking for, however i did dig up a copy of the program so I can show you what it did, it'd still be great to have that function in PS.

Sorry, it was my best guess at the time. Thanks for the images of the "image spray"...............makes sense now.

I hope the Plug-in Larry has found for you will do the trick. Good luck.