What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Marriage Proposal Edit Background request

fgcb05

Hi, I proposed to my then fiancee in Beijing. Originally planned it to happen in great wall but things didn't go as planned. is it possible to use our picture with the marry me shirt and use the greatwall as background?

fgcb05

IMG_5965.JPGIMG_5588.JPGIMG_5971.JPG

Any of the 2 pictures with the marry shirt if its possible to edit into our picture with the great wall of china. Thank you :)

Argos

Guru
I was doing it aswell but like an idiot i was combining the two images adding shadows and with evident light discrepances, i dind't even thought what you ask on the post and rich54 did.... whitout a doubt a better and simple solution.

I think the learning of 3d it's hurting my brain :rofl:.

My idiot attemp

IMG_55882.jpg

Cheers!

GeorgeB

Rich54...great job on the selection!!! May I ask which tool/process you used to get this quality result?

Rich54

Guru
Rich54...great job on the selection!!! May I ask which tool/process you used to get this quality result?

Thanks. I initially used the Pen tool and created a selection with a 1 pixel feather. The Pen tool makes very clean selections for everything except the hair, so in this first step I deliberately left a very large margin around the hair.
For the hair, I made a very rough selection using the Lasso tool and then I used the Refine Edge commands to try to get a better selection. I very rarely get satisfactory results from Refine Edge, but in this case there was pretty good contrast and it worked fairly well, especially on the guy's hair. The woman's hair was more difficult, especially the side of her head on our left. For that area, I manually drew my own strands of hair with the brush tool.

I think the hair came out fairly well using the above steps. But if it did not, I had one other plan to try:
Both photos have a similar background of sky and mountains. So in the "marry me" photo, I was going to do a curves adjustment to get the sky in that photo to match the sky in the Great Wall photo. Once that is accomplished, then the selection around the hair doesn't need to be so perfect because the blue sky gives you some margin for error.