What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Modify head shot to print on T-shirt (was: Special request for photoshop pros)

Aaron Shields

I am in charge of creating t-shirts for my family reunion this year, and I work for a printing company. I have a photo of a friend that I want to convert to black and white to print on the front of a t-shirt, but i have no clue how to do it properly. I can supply the photo if one of you can convert it to a proper black/white imprint.

29860_108958695814886_5668494_n.jpg

I just want his outline...none of the background. vector files are the best, but whatever you can do is fine. I appreciate all of your help. this will be a big hit with the whole family reunion if I can pull it off.

if the photo i uploaded isn't good enough quality, please email me at aaronwshields@gmail.com.

Paul

Former Member
Illustrator would be your best bet, you can do it via Photoshop just quicker and easier and a better finish using Illustrator.

Tom Mann

Guru
When you say, "...I just want his outline...", do you mean you want:

1) a silhouette;

2) a black or white line running around the periphery of a silhouette, and nothing else - no interior, no exterior; or,

3) a cutout - ie, remove everything but the person?

If it's #3, do you want what remains stylized in any way, e.g., link1, link2, link3, an engraved look like on currency, etc. Do you want the interior in color or B&W?

What is the color of the shirt?

I hate to be so pedantic, but you've got to be a bit more specific, or at least provide an example of your goal.

Tom M

Aaron Shields

When you say, "...I just want his outline...", do you mean you want:

1) a silhouette;

2) a black or white line running around the periphery of a silhouette, and nothing else - no interior, no exterior; or,

3) a cutout - ie, remove everything but the person?

If it's #3, do you want what remains stylized in any way, e.g., link1, link2, link3, an engraved look like on currency, etc. Do you want the interior in color or B&W?

What is the color of the shirt?

I hate to be so pedantic, but you've got to be a bit more specific, or at least provide an example of your goal.

Tom M

i want to be able to print this picture on a t-shirt as a 1-color imprint. so....all of the features that make this photo recognizable would be in white....on top of a navy blue shirt.....

it's hard to explain in words...but i want to be able to recognize this photo on a t-shirt.....with only one color representing all the features that matter.

sorry i can't be more specific.

Paul

Former Member
Simple threshold adjustment treatment -
threshold.jpg like this or some other?

Tom Mann

Guru
Unfortunately, there's just so, so many ways to do this. I'm sure several of us will be perfectly willing to help you out, but nobody wants to do work over, especially if it's for free, and even moreso just because the goal wasn't clear. Such work takes time.

So, could you just try to find some reasonably close example from a catalog, Google images, or somewhere?

BTW, did you click on the links I provided? In other words, how realistic vs how stylized do you want?

Tom M

Aaron Shields

i understand completely. i want it to basically be a black/white outline of the whole picture. as simple as possible. i have a backup plan if this isn't feasible, so don't stress it too much.

I just want an outline....no shading or half tones.......it can be cartoonish, just has to be recognizable.......

like i said...if it's not feasible....no worries. i do appreciate the effort though. you guys are awesome.

Tom Mann

Guru
Humm...

As the OP was responding, I was working on a draft of a half-tone version that would involve just white dots of white ink on the blue shirt material - couldn't be simpler. Now I see that the OP has excluded half-tones.

Arghhhh!

May I ask why not half-tones?

Tom M

Attachments

• tjm01-acr-ps03a_half_tone_on_burlap-02.jpg
    tjm01-acr-ps03a_half_tone_on_burlap-02.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
Another possibility: Apply the following B&W (not grayscale) image ...

tjm01-acr-ps04a_half_tone_on_burlap-05_BW_based_on_graphic_pen.jpg

to (simulated) blue T-shirt cloth and you should get something more or less like this:

tjm01-acr-ps04a_half_tone_and_graphic_pen-07_is_05_appl_to_sim_blue_cloth_bkgnd.jpg

Supply a version where the dimensions of the document in pixels are considerably larger, and adjust the image for the specific printing process, and the effect will be even better.

HTH,

Tom M

Paul

Former Member
The OP as made a very clear request, i can't understand why all the other options are being requested back at him?