What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moving an 'object' in an image?

Bluie

Hello

I am considering using CSS to overlay an image with some short but large text to the right of the crow in this image, but first I would need to move the crow to the left (about 2-3" from the left of the image).

Would I achieve that using cropping?

Thanks.

crowFlight.gif

MrToM

Guru
First use IMAGE > MODE to change from Index to RGB....otherwise you can't do anything.

Unlock the background layer if it isn't already.

Use Ctrl + J to duplicate the layer.

Then use the 'Lasso' tool to make a rough, but close, marquee around the crow.

Right Click INSIDE the marquee and select 'Layer Via Copy'. Turn OFF this new layer's visibility.

Select the duplicate layer.

HOLD Ctrl and CLICK the thumbnail of the invisible layer.

RIGHT Click inside the marquee again and select 'Fill...'

Choose 'Contentent Aware' from the dropdown and also check 'Color Adaptation'....then OK.

Turn on the visibility for the 'crow', select the 'Move' tool and drag it to the left as far as you need.

Change the layers 'Blending Mode' to something you are happy with.....for me, 'Darker Color' worked ok.

If you need to you can always add a mask to remove anything you don't want to see.

Regards.
MrTom.

Bluie

Hello Mr Tom

I can follow the steps you have kindly proposed only so far.

I get here: Turn OFF this new layer's visibility (I click the eye). Then I duplicate this same layer? That also has it's visibility turned off. Or do you mean the duplicate background layer in your step 3?

Thanks

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
LOL.... OK.....

After duplicating the crow, hide the crow copy layer..

Select the lower layer image (duplicated in step3) used to copy the eagle (This is now your active layer) and HOLD Ctrl and CLICK the thumbnail of the invisible crow layer to select the hidden object in that layer (This is used to fill the area using Content Aware where the crow is in your active layer).

When all edits done, unhide the buzzard and move it where you wish.

lol..... MrT!!!!! ..... I hope I didn't screw this and further confuse our visitor here......

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
1. Convert to RGB color mode
2. With Quick Selection tool -select the crow.
3, With the Content Aware Move tool (located in the Healing Brush dropdown) move the crow. (be sure it's set to move and not extend)
4. PS will attempt to fill in the crow shape from where you moved it.In the case of this file it leaves an artifact. To fix this quickly, grab your brush tool and enter Q for the Quick Mask tool. Paint over the artifact (be sure the foreground is set to black). What you paint will be red, indicating the mask. Then enter Q again and the marching ants will appear. Now, go to Edit/Fill /Content Aware. Should be it. (You can also select the artifact with the lasso tool if preferred.)

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
Sorry guys.....I do admit I rushed that a bit......getting ready to take Mother out for a meal......Mothers Day and all that, ya know.

Anyways....yeah, spot on DV8. Thanks for that. :thumbsup:

For the benefit of the OP the method is basically this...

Remove the 'crow' by covering it with clouds...
The problem with that is once removed you then have no crow to move....so....we need to make a copy of it first.

Duplicate the 'crow' (the whole layer) and then cut it out of that layer......its all you need.
Working on a duplicate means you still have the original on which you can then cover the 'crow' with clouds....it doesn't matter if we lose the 'crow' at this stage because we already have it from the duplicate.

So the next step is then to remove the 'crow' from the original.....but....if we don't turn off the duplicate crow then we wont be able to see what we are doing ....it will essentially look the same.....so we turn off the duplicate 'crow' for the time being while we sort out covering the original.......with 'Content Aware'....(Not Contentent Aware as previously stated....and that was BEFORE a drink!)

Once we have the 'crow' removed from the original image (IOW covered with clouds) then we can turn on the duplicate crow, select it, and move it to wherever we want.

With a blending mode change and maybe a little masking the crow should blend into the clouds of the original image.

That was the thinking behind it.

Regards.
MrTom.

Bluie

Many thanks to you all for your help.

I have managed to move it now!

crowFlight1.gif

Cheers!