What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help in Diamond retouch

Hanaa

I'm freelancer, and I'm working on jewelry retouch.
I wish to reach high level in this field, but I see all you tube lessons in this field and some from Lynda sit, but still can't find all I needs.
So I need your help in 2 important things:
First and fast:
How can I retouch diamond and keep it pop up and realistic , when I make sharpen ( smart or un_sharp mask ) the diamond become bluer and fade As you see in the image I have attached , I know the source photo not good, but this is the challenge, many client give me bad photos to make it WOW
1.jpg

Second: I need advanced free courses or lessons , to lean me how can I make advanced level jewlery retouch.

I wish I find some one help me here as I'm new and really need help badly.

Thank you very much

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
"As you see in the image I have attached , I know the source photo not good, but this is the challenge, many client give me bad photos to make it WOW"

Did you ever hear the old saying "Garbage in-Garbage out" ? If the source photo is of poor quality, then you have an up-hill battle to start. Possibly some filters may help you. Let us see what advice we get here from our other members.

The posted image is very low resolution , 600x400 pixel, 72 ppi.
Converted to 300 ppi, (which is needed for printing) the size is 5.1x3.4 cm.

But I can still see that a lot of retouching and photoshopping has already been done, like replacing retouched diamonds.
If this is your work, and you've done it on a high resolution image, possibly the original image form the camera, then you are not new to these tasks.
Simply apply unsharp masking will never get you a good result. This is the field for professional photographers and retouchers with years of experience.

Even if I have to disappoint you, a few free lessons from a "guru retoucher" would possibly get you started, but this is just the beginning of a very long way of learning.

Last edited:

Hanaa

"As you see in the image I have attached , I know the source photo not good, but this is the challenge, many client give me bad photos to make it WOW"

Did you ever hear the old saying "Garbage in-Garbage out" ? If the source photo is of poor quality, then you have an up-hill battle to start. Possibly some filters may help you. Let us see what advice we get here from our other members.

Yes, you are right, I wish Some one can help.
Thank you very much for replying

Hanaa

The posted image is very low resolution , 600x400 pixel, 72 ppi.
Converted to 300 ppi, (which is needed for printing) the size is 5.1x3.4 cm.

But I can still see that a lot of retouching and photoshopping has already been done, like replacing retouched diamonds.
If this is your work, and you've done it on a high resolution image, possibly the original image form the camera, then you are not new to these tasks.
Simply apply unsharp masking will never get you a good result. This is the field for professional photographers and retouchers with years of experience.

Even if I have to disappoint you, a few free lessons from a "guru retoucher" would possibly get you started, but this is just the beginning of a very long way of learning.

I already have some experience in this filed, not excellent but you can say good enough with good photos.
This example for another photo, good one
But still get fade diamond :(
Thanks for your advise

Hanaa

after and before small.jpg
Her you are the other sample for my retouch working, with a good photo, but if focus will see diamonds not perfect fad and bluer,
How I can sharpen it and keep it pop up???????????
The attached one (( the one below)) I put the source under the adjustment layers so it appear in wrong source adjustment. I couldn't remove from attachments :(

Attachments

• after and before small.jpg
    after and before small.jpg
    402 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

ALB68

Yes, you are right, I wish Some one can help.
Thank you very much for replying

This might be of some help to you http://jewelwebdesign.net/clean-jewelry/
I followed these instructions with your posted image and here is what I got. Not really that good but considering the starting image and that I don't do jewelry, maybe not too bad. His sharpen was done using the High Pass filter fyi
jewelry.PNG

MikeMc

McGuru
High Pass sharpening will help many times, as you can change the blending modes and opacity....play a bit with it, even past "greyout"...then blend

ALB68

With this one, After making a new layer for the "before" copy, using the Quick Mask I selected all of the white areas of the diamonds. Next I put the selection on a layer of it's own by entering Ctrl/Cmd +J. Once done I increased the brightness on that layer. Then I duplicated that layer with Ctrl/Cmd + J again. Next apply the HighPass filter (Filter/Other/Highpass) with the radius set to 5.7. Blend this layer with it's duplicate that's underneath using Overlay as the blend mode.
ring2.PNG

Tom Mann

Guru
I'm sorry, but, as people have twice before pointed out to you, if you want us to give you suggestions for techniques that produce high quality images, and back them up with credible demonstrations of such processing, you really need to supply us with images in which the diamonds have vastly higher pixel dimensions.

For example, in the image you supplied in post #6 of this thread, with the exception of the single, very large diamond at the top of the ring, not one of the smaller diamonds is larger than about 17 pixels wide. :eek:

There is no effective technique that we can show you when a critically important part of the image is that small. For example, I certainly would never attempt to simply sharpen such a feature, because to see a significant effect, the sharpening artifacts will be only modestly smaller than the diamonds themselves. So, if you want to send us a picture of a single diamond, it should be at least many hundreds of pixels on a side. Pictures of an entire ring (composed of many diamonds) need to be many times that large, say, at minimum, 4000 pixels on a side. Larger would be much better. This is one of the reasons that Chris suggested that you need the services of a photographer experienced in this field.

If, as you said, you really have no choice but to deal with small and/or out-of-focus, poorly lit images, I think you need to manage the expectations of your boss / client, and make them understand that real-world Photoshop is not like Hollywood movies, and a photo retoucher can't turn garbage into gold. This is in contrast to a graphic artist working in a vector based program who could, with the expenditure of considerable amounts of time and money, produce infinitely sharp, beautiful illustrations, but, of course, then they won't be a photo of what the customer is actually buying. It will just be an illustration.

Tom M

Tom Mann

Guru
To give you an rough example of what could be done if the image was larger, the largest, topmost diamond on the image you provided in post #6 is several times larger (in linear dimensions) than the smaller diamonds, so a bit of improvement can be made to it. I worked on the top diamond in the left image in that post. Other, more realistic techniques could be used, and the results would be vastly better if it was even larger.

Tom M

after_and_before_small-tjm01-acr-ps02a_for_gif.gif

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
PS - By the way, is the top diamond really that yellow, or is that a photography / lighting problem, or is it even a diamond, or some other gemstone?

Tom M

Last edited:
I went a step further than Tom and replaced some of the smaller diamonds.
If you do that you have to adjust the size, angle and shape (perspective) of each diamond separately.

replace diamonds.jpg
click to enlarge.

ALB68

Examples of how to make chicken salad from chicken dung. I believe this is what the OP was requesting.

Hanaa

Tom Mann ALB68 chrisdesign

Thank you very much guys, you are all helped me very much.
I know that A good photo needed to get good retouching result, But sometimes you have to make your client satisfied to can go throw the project, and then he don't kick you out :(
I'm happy that I know this amazing site throw searching and I found that amazing guys like you.
I need to explore the whole of the sit that I see many amazing experience here.
So pleas if you can guide me throw the sit to improve my skills in retouch product as whole and color correction specially, I'll be thankful for ever.
Again *** THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOU ALL AND YOU IDEAS AND COMMENTS ***

ALB68

Hanaa. You would probably get more help and response if you would post the images instead of the links. Your choice though.

I downloaded your images without any problems.

The one image I checked has a good resolution of 3000x3000 pixel, 26 MB, 25x25 cm, 300 ppi.
You did a very good job of masking the BG, retouching a few things, and painted a nice shadow.
I'm surprised of what a good job you did here. Well done!

In my sample I applied more unsharp masking, which is justified for this size.
I set the highlight and the blacks again for a little more contrast.
I adjusted the gold parts with hue/saturation to a more pleasant gold color. (I selected the lighter grayish parts of the gold only).

I cropped the size to post.
4174R008_yours.jpg

4174R008_chrisdesign.jpg