What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to PS, need help with coloring!

DawnDreamer

Hi guys!
I enjoy editing character artworks eventually with Paint.net by manipulating pixels but there is only so much I can do. I did the left guy by only copy/pasting in multiple layers and by realocating and cleaning pixels.

gm9vR00.jpg

I usually get stuck when I need to recolor something. I'd like to know how you guys would

1. recolor the forearm so it matches the face skin color
2. change the brown portion of the crotch area so it matches the gray paint of the pants

I suppose 1 is easier, Lasso Select+Hue/Saturation? I would still like to know how you guys would do it.
2 is trickier, I have no idea how to do it

Thanks!

Last edited:
There are several different options. To change the color of the arm, first I would sample the color from the face. Next, create a new layer with the arm portion you want to color. Select it using the method of choice, then Ctrl or Cmd J to make the layer. Then above that make a new fill layer, go to Layer/New Fill Layer/Solid color. Then when that opens up,it will show the color you sampled from the face,if not choose again with the eyedropper tool. Click OK. Now, the layer will fill with the color and it will contain a layer mask. Click in the layer mask and invert it by entering Ctrl/ Cmd I (eye). Now when you paint in the mask with white, it will start to apply color to the arm. At this point you will want to lay some color down and adjust your opacity and fill adjustment sliders to get your color exactly the way you want it. Then finish adding the color with the brush. If you make a mistake, switch to black to reverse paint.
You can use this procedure to do any color application you want. I did the Marlyn Monroe in this thread using this method ,more or less. https://www.photoshopgurus.com/foru...e-glamour-girl-give-me-trendy-background.html

More than anything though, this image will benefit a lot by going to Image/ Adjustment/ Shadows and Highlights. You may find it doesn't need much color adjustment. Try it and see what you think. ( I am speaking of the largest image)
This is what it looks like with a simple adjustment of the shadows and highlights
warrior.PNG

Last edited:
Thanks for the attention and for the Shadows/Highlights tip, I'll make sure to look into that later, it definitely looks better!

I'm so comfortable with Paint net. There are too many different hotkeys compared to PS, I know it'll take a while to get used. Fortunately, the interface is very similar.

Now when you paint in the mask with white, it will start to apply color to the arm. At this point you will want to lay some color down and adjust your opacity and fill adjustment sliders to get your color exactly the way you want it. Then finish adding the color with the brush. If you make a mistake, switch to black to reverse paint.

I might have missed something... When I use the Brush Tool to paint in the layer mask, it applies the color in the same way as I if brushed directly into the arm layer with the skin color, overriding the diferent textures and shadows

iTAAINi.png

I'd still like to know what I did wrong, but I managed to come with a workaround by messing around using Adjustment > Hue/Saturation, which is something I've done a couple of times in Paint.net and didn't remember. The downside is that you must find the color combinations manually I guess, but the results are pretty decent

qRohmqo.png

You didn't follow instructions, Adjust Opacity and Fill -very important to get the color right. " At this point you will want to lay some color down and adjust your opacity and fill adjustment sliders to get your color exactly the way you want it"
opacity.PNG

My bad, I missed that little bit ;)

PdMDaDt.png

The pants are not perfect but I'm very satisfied! Thank you for your patience for guiding me through this, ALB! :thumbsup:

Back