What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Patterned Rings in Perspective Question

vanderjess10

Hi there!

I'm looking to achieve a specific effect of wrapping a pattern around a ring, and then putting that image into perspective where it appears to be receding into space. The best example I can find of this effect is in this image:

EndersGameBookCover.jpg

Notice how the artist created these rings of triangles encircling the boy? I'd like to take a pattern similar to those triangles to create a similar effect of flattened "rings" in perspective. Any tips or tutorials on how to do this using Photoshop?

Thanks so much!

Last edited by a moderator:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

Quick question...........do you have a version of Ps (extended) that has 3D capabilities?

MrToM

Guru
I'd do it this way:

1. Create a custom brush in the shape of a triangle.
2. Create a circular path and stroke it with the custom brush with the 'Angle Jitter' set to 'Direction' in the brush properties and the 'Spacing' set to something appropriate.
3. Transform the layer using 'Perspective' transform and 'Scale' transform.
4. Rotate to taste.

perspective_ring_MT_01.png

perspective_ring_MT_02.png

The 'Spacing' setting may be a bit 'Trial and Error' but just undo and try a different value till it fits.

You can also use a layer Mask to remove any triangles you don't want either before or after transforming.

Regards.
MrToM.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I used the Rectangle Tool, step and repeat, 3D extrusion from selected layer, and a layer mask.
Screen Shot 2016-03-28 at 5.59.01 PM.png

Here I used the Polygon Tool set to 3 sides, step and repeat, 3D extrusion from selected layer, and a layer mask.
Screen Shot 2016-03-28 at 6.23.57 PM.png

Last edited:

vanderjess10

Thank you IamSam & MrTom for the informative and prompt reply! I was able to utilize MrTom's method by creating a brush, stroking the circular path, and applying perspective to it. This is how it turned out:
Triangle Ring 1.jpg
Somewhat rudimentary, but not bad for a start. I actually didn't know how to create a brush from a shape before, so that was pretty exciting to learn.

I also tried IamSam's method. I had a little trouble effectively applying the 'step and repeat' (I wasn't sure how place the triangles equally around a circle without painstakingly arranging each one), so I began with my triangle brush-stroked circle and then tinkered with the 3D repousse method. I had not worked with the 3D functions before, so although I was able to tilt the ring around, I wasn't sure how to hide the cube that it was on. Also, how were you able to make the individual triangles appear to have depth?

Triangle Ring.jpg

Thank you so much for all the help!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I can certainly explain my technique much better...........I was just waiting to see if you thought you wanted to try the method.

Last edited:

vanderjess10

Thank you. I would actually--I like the ability to move the ring around three dimensionally. The perspective transform tool is handy, but I think being able to manipulate it three dimensionally is more versatile.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ok, here's how I made the rectangles in a circle.

Create some center guidelines.

Create a new layer, one that is separate from any background layers......it should be a transparent layer as well.

Grab your Polygon Tool and set it up like this. Make sure your width and height are set to whole numbers....50 and not like this 50.34.
The polygon tool is a shape tool, so you should get better results.
Screen Shot 2016-03-29 at 4.39.01 PM.png

Create a triangle at the top of the document, I just dragged it out and re-positioned it using the Move Tool
Screen Shot 2016-03-29 at 4.38.43 PM.png

Highlight your triangle layer and duplicate it (Cmd/Cntrl + J).
Then hit Cmd/Cntrl + T to enter free transform.
Screen Shot 2016-03-29 at 4.39.24 PM.png

Now we have to move the pivot point.
Hold down the Option/Alt key and click on the center of the guidelines. This will move the pivot point. You can also drag it.
Screen Shot 2016-03-29 at 4.40.46 PM.png

Now you have to hold down the shift key, move your cursor to the top right hand side of the transform box surrounding the triangle. Wait for the cursor to turn into a curved arrow and then drag the transform box/triangle on step.
Screen Shot 2016-03-29 at 4.40.59 PM.png

Hit enter or the checkmark to accept the state change.
Highlight the now moved (duplicated) layer.
Turn off the original triangle layer.

Here's the fun part.
Hold down the SHIFT + ALT/OPT + CMD/CNTRL keys, then hit the T key to step and repeat all the way around!
Screen Shot 2016-03-29 at 4.41.25 PM.png

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ok, your using an older version of Ps extended so I'm not familiar with Repousse.

I can tell you that this is where you would increase the extrusion depth.
Screen Shot 2016-03-29 at 5.01.34 PM copy.png

Last edited:

vanderjess10

Thank you IamSam for the thorough walkthrough! This all made perfect sense, and I was able to both properly utilize the step and repeat tool (which was really fun!) as well as the 3D extrusion via Repousse. I've learned so much and have new tools to add to my knowledge of Photoshop. Thank you again for taking the time to create a thorough and informative reply--I truly appreciate it!Triangle Ring 2.jpg