What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please help me decipher this number plate

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlorjM

image.jpegHi, this car hit my car and drove off. I would really appreciate any help with figuring out the number plate.
This is a still from the video I got, I could post the video if that helps?
Thanks in advance.

gedstar

Guru
Unless the video is any clearer I don't think CSI would even be able to figure out what the number plate is

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
As Gedstar mentioned, the on screen effect you see on television shows do not exist (to that degree) in the real world.

All images are based on the information taken in from the recording device, if there's no pixel information on the image with which to extrapolate the actual numbers or letters of the plate, then you may as well take your best guess.

Have you shown the video to the Police? They should have the most up to date technology that might possibly be able to visualize the plate, what did they say?

peta62

Guru
I agree with gedstar and IamSam, I just want to add two ideas.
1. from my experience quality of particular frames in the same video differs, so I would put your video into some program showing frames and look for the best.
2. I do not think you need to have the whole plate text, since you have car make and colour, so it should be possible to identify the car even if one character is missing.

Tom Mann

Guru
The DoD and the police also have software which pin registers a specific object in a series of video frames and then stacks them and uses median filtering to achieve a significant blur reduction. Unfortunately, I don't have access to this SW any more, but as suggested earlier, if you can convince the police that this crime is sufficiently significant to warrant the expenditure of forensic resources, than you might be able to pick out the characters. For a collision with only property damage, I doubt you will be able to rouse their interest in doing this.

This can also be done manually, but it is **EXTREMELY** tedious. Typically a hundred frames or so must be used to see appreciable improvement.

HTH,

Tom M

GlorjM

Thanks for the replies. Yes I've shown it to the police, they weren't very interested, saying they couldn't zoom in to see the number plate.
Thought I'd give it a shot here, thanks for your time.

GlorjM

Thanks chrisdesign, I think i can make out a few letters... Will show the police.
Appreciate your effort!!

Status
Not open for further replies.