What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please help me kindly for my dads urn (photoshop smoothing)

mchl891

Hi all,

My dad passed away suddenly just before christmas last year and we have ordered an urn, specifically to engrave on for a personal touch.

I had found a meaningful image online, which is the irish claddagh symbol of friendship, loyalty and love. However, when I handed it over to the engravers, I was told that the image was too jagged and rough and the engraving machine would copy it out this way. He said it needs to be a high quality JPEG image.

So, I need this image to be smooth and clean around all the edges, and I have tried myself on photoshop (but am no expert) to produce a smooth and high quality JPEG of this symbol. I cannot do it, I have looked for tutorials and found this https://forums.adobe.com/thread/958295 which shows a process but I cannot seem to figure it out myself.

This is kind of what I am hoping for in terms of smoothing:
https://helpx.adobe.com/content/dam/help/en/photoshop-elements/topics/key-concepts/aliasing.png

I am so desperate to have this on his urn above his name, as it means so much to me, that I have come here for someone's kind help which I would appreciate so much you have no idea.

Thank you for reading this and taking the time to have a go if you do.

X

Attachments

• bb12751c06cfd90cc2fd31ee56bdb2bb.jpg
    bb12751c06cfd90cc2fd31ee56bdb2bb.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 34

mchl891

To the person who has just posted to this thread thank you so much but please could you resend as I just get this message when clicking your link: Invalid Attachment specified.

gedstar

Guru
Hi that was me, I tried to trace it in Illustrator but the result is not good

mchl891

Hi that was me, I tried to trace it in Illustrator but the result is not good

Ok, thank you for trying. I found out the word that describes this process is called anti-aliasing. Just wish I knew how to do it! Thanks again x

Tom Mann

Guru
Here is a 1 minute tweak of one of the items on the page that "thebestcpu" posted. It's not exactly the same as the version you posted, but maybe it's good enough for the engravers and you.

Unfortunately, the real problem with the image you posted is that it's too small. It has too few pixels, so when it's enlarged to a reasonable size, you see the blocky outline of every pixel. Unfortunatel, anti-aliasing isn't going to work. It will simply make the edges into a smoother, but still bumpy line following the edges of the (say) black areas.

Unfortunately, I'm in the middle of a job and can't do any more at this time. Maybe someone else will pick up the challenge.

All the best, and our condolences for your loss.

Tom M

claddagh-clip-art-0E9xoG-clipart-tjm01-893px-ps03a_2680px-01.jpg

PS - When you download this file, you have to double click on the low-resolution in-forum preview. Doing so will take you to the version I uploaded which is just under 3000pixels square. Also, please note that the in-forum, low rez preview should not be relied on to evaluate things like the stair-stepping artifacts along sharp edges.