What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pointers needed

MikeMc

McGuru
This one is just fighting me...Everything tried...still not happy.

This is a lousy scan, but all that I have. The colors are poor due to awful camera (suspect is a 126 instamatic) , a dirty scanner glass and damage to the photo by poor storage. Any help on how to restore the background is needed.

picsofgirls121520144.jpg

Tom Mann

Guru
Hi Mike - Do u mean correct the yellow cast or get the people onto their own layer so that the bkgnd can be changed?

cheers,

Tom

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi Mike - depends on the end product you want (resolution for monitor or print size)

Since the background is not as critical as the foreground some combination of content aware fill and/or clone stamp tool with a progressive blur might do it if all you were trying to start with is the upper left corner of the background.

More details on what you want might better steer the recommendations.

Could be really off yet here is a 1 minute rough correction of the ocean/lake background in upper left:

picsofgirls121520144patchocean.jpg

Last edited:

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Here Mike, here's one. Quick, a couple of layer masks and Topaz JPG filter
picsofgirls121520144.png

Last edited:

MikeMc

McGuru
Sorry for lack of info...

In my original, the overall yellow cast is easy to balance. What my issue is are the bands top to bottom on the left edge. I did have to downsize this to upload, and the forum software might not allow this to stand out. I am working on the background as I am able to make the people almost perfect .......given what I have to work with.

Larry when you say Topaz jpg... is that DENOISE ? or JPG ?

ALB68

Sorry for lack of info...

In my original, the overall yellow cast is easy to balance. What my issue is are the bands top to bottom on the left edge. I did have to downsize this to upload, and the forum software might not allow this to stand out. I am working on the background as I am able to make the people almost perfect .......given what I have to work with.

Larry when you say Topaz jpg... is that DENOISE ? or JPG ?

Mike, I used the one called DeJpeg. It pushed the reduce artifacts slider up and it worked pretty well.

Tom Mann

Guru
Mike, all good suggestions above. I concentrated on the beach, trying to see if there was any decent structure that could be recovered. There wasn't. If you want a nice beach, I think you are just going to have to drop one in.

Best of luck and season's greetings,

Tom

MikeMc

McGuru
Thanks for the help, and replies.

Tom, if you can't get the background...I won't try.

Chris...your colors are to die for !!

Thanks Larry...I don't have that one.

ALB68

Thanks for the help, and replies.

Tom, if you can't get the background...I won't try.

Chris...your colors are to die for !!

Thanks Larry...I don't have that one.

The DeNoise will work too.

ALB68

Mike, this one looks pretty good to me. I adjusted each channel with levels. Then I used the content aware move tool in extend mode on the water. The water on the right side came up nicely with the channel adjustment. Hopefully this will help. (also used the DeNoise first)
picsofgirls121520144 copy.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I left the grain in and just did some Clone Stamp and Brush Tool work on the water and sand.

PicsOfGirls_01.jpg

edit: I can see the water needs a bit more work!

Last edited:

Steve

Retired Administrator
One thing you can try is using Image|Adjustments|Threshold slide it one way to find the darkest part of the image and mark it with a Shift and Left Click on the mouse (Windows)
Do the same thing the other way and find the brightest part of the image then Shift Left Click.

Open Curves and in Red Green and Blue set the Shadows to 10 and the Highlights to 245
This get's the colors very close in a lot of old photos, certainly not all.

Note the before and after numbers

CM-1.jpg

ALB68

You can also try a Color Balance adjustment layer..adjust each channel
colorbalance.PNG

Steve

Retired Administrator
Here's the image.
This image needs a lot more editing but the colors should be pretty close.
I did no additional editing other than what I explained above.

picsofgirls121520144chrisdesign_Steve.jpg

MikeMc

McGuru
Thanks Steve....That's what I was missing. looks great!