What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem with Photoshop CS

louis75

After loading a photo in Photoshop CS (Windows7), the program does not respond to the mouse commands.
The boxes "minimize", "full screen" and "delete" on the top right side are not funtional.
When I click on any of the first two boxes,(minimize or Full screen), the Style box opens up and show three options "Normal", "Fixed aspect ratio", "Fixed size". I cannot go any further.
The program has run without a problem for a few years, but I have never experience this problem..
Please help me.

Tom Mann

Guru
Any change in the behavior of other software on that computer?

Did tthis change in the behavior of PS happen after any other obvious event such as a Windows update?

Have you been keeping your drivers up to date?

If none of the above, try resetting the Photoshop preference file. Google {resetting Photoshop preference file site:photoshopgurus.com}

Let us know if this helps.

Tom M

Last edited:

louis75

Tom:
Thanks for your reply.
1. No changes an any other software.
2.No change due to Windows update.
3. I do not know how to keep drivers up to date.
4. I reset the Preference file by pressing Shift+Ctrl+Alt, Then P/S asked if I need to reset the Pref file, answered Yes.
Problem still exists.
I noticed that when the cursor is inside the loaded photo, it changes shape, like two cursors, Outside the photo the cursor is a single arrow.

gedstar

Guru
Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
Good point gedstar.......but.....

I have PS CS (8.0) running on Win 7 (x64) without any problems so I guess we can rule that out as a possible cause?

Unfortunately, despite this, I still cannot replicate the OP's problem.

The only thing I can think of which has not already been suggested or tried is to make sure that Adobe Flash Player is up to date.(Both of them!)

Flash Player has been troublesome lately....being updated twice in almost as many days....I remember going over THIS recently with ibclare that the latest version at the time (16.0.0.296) was 'buggy'.
(3 days later Adobe released yet another Flash Update (16.0.0.305) which now seems to be stable.)

Unfortunately Clare didn't reply in her thread as to whether or not a Flash update solved her problem but it wouldn't hurt the OP here to update their Flash anyway, regardless.

That's about all I can suggest.

Regards.
MrTom.

gedstar

Guru
Hi MrTom

You have proved me wrong :thumbsup:I'm a newbie to Photoshop and only started on CS6 so haven't tried installing any of the older versions. I'll take my two pence back and hide under the rock I came from :rofl:

There is another option or two for the OP, try logging onto the PC with a different Windows profile and see if the issue still exist, if so a reinstall may be the way to go, using this tool to completely removed Photoshop
https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs5-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Last edited:

louis75

Thank you to all the forum members that helped me.
The solution to my problem was the re-installation of CS to a new folder.
During the re-installation CS will ask where to install it.
Your answer should be: C:\Progra~2\Adobe
If you install in the suggested folder,C:/Program /file(x86)/Adobe, it will not run properly. This was my case.
Notice that the new folder name does not have the "m" and the slashes are back slashes "\"
Before you re-install CS, please uninstall previous install.
So, despite that Adobe saying that Photoshop 7, Photoshop 8 (CS) will not run on Windows 7, 64-bit, IT DOES run.

Mod edit: Removed specific product endorsement, using windows 'uninstall' will work just fine.

Last edited by a moderator: