What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quick selection quircks

abuabed84

I have PS Elements 13

I used "quick select" to remove the sky in this image, but got a not so perfect result.

iphone 5 res.jpg

The issue is that the ground seems pixelated after I removed the sky.

DayGround.png

How can I make the ground smooth?
I know how to do it after removing the sky but I can't use that because the ground only image will be used above the original image with the sky so it has to be 100% compatible, so adding an effect to the ground image might not work

Last edited:
I used refine edge on this after making the selection not sure if that will do you, I'm slightly confused about what you're going to do afterwards with the sky I mean?

iphone 5 res.png

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to PSG.

Is this the actual size of the original image?

There are other ways to make selections that might work better than the Quick Selection Tool.

Have you tried using refine edge?
edit: Ged beat me to it!

Wow, thanks gedstar it looks flawless, Take a look :)
Screen Shot 2016-04-27 at 9.26.56 PM.png
I'm going to use it in a game I'm making.
I hope it's not too much trouble, but I really need to smoothen out the night image also

558130868bc8c_thumb900.png
NightGround.png

Thank you,
Yes this is the actual size 568x320
I haven't tried refined edge but I'm willing to after seeing the results here

Here's mine. You keep beating me today Ged!

558130868bc8c_thumb900.jpg

Either masking with black and white gradient or cropping with a pen tool manually will help to solve the crispy edges. When replacing the sky, make sure that the horizon and the ground merge properly and for that add white with a soft brush on the fading edge.

Back