What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Real DOF effect

sandor

I know there are tons of tutorials out there how to create "Depth of field" in photographs but the effect is not really what I want.

In all of the tutorials they create two layer and blur one of them, then apply a mask and gradient it to create the effect of dof. This is not what I wan't because it does't make the scene gradually more blurry, it only creates an extremely blurry layer and applies it gradually.

So what I'm looking for is a filter or plugin that gradually increases the strength of a blur using a mask.

Thanks in advance!

Exactly how you writen.
1. make layer copy.
2. apply blur (actually i found that better blurry result isn't 100 but 2 ar something, which is intresting).
3. make layer mask to that blur layer.
4. fill mask with radial black/white gradient from center to side.
Now where is black will be less blur where is white more blur.
To make effect stronger just dublicate that layer.
And maybe to dublicated layer give more blur.
blurry.jpg

Yes but that doesn't truly make it gradually more blurry. Image you have a picture then go into Filter > Gaussian Blur. From there you increase strength over time. I wan't the same effect but instead of over time I wan't it over distance.

Altough, I guess using multiple layers like you did would make a good enough effect and no one would be able to see the difference.

Yep. Multiple layer with probably diferent blur. You can find effect you need by experimented then create action with all those layer dublicated, mask and blur to make it automatic, so it would be your "plugin" to apply to other images.

This is what an alpha channel is used for. Use a gradient in a new channel and with the selection add blur to your image.

I once wrote filter like this in FilterMeister. Took some time but it was worth it. The Blur radius was controled by a separate alpha channel. Sorry, but I can't find it right now.
The only really good workaround I know of is Compound Blur effect in After Effects. It does just what you need but... in After Effects.

hawkeye: The blur in that image is not gradually stronger. It is gradually more visible. I'm afraid thats not the same thing.

Hoogleman: I'll have a look at the plugins. Thanks!

EDIT: SCTRWD: I don't have access to After Effects and no experience in it either. But if you could find your filter it would be very helpful!

Theres a filter called Lens Blur that creates the desired effect. Thanks anyways I guess..

Back