What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Really grateful for image restoration and colourisation. Sentimental

adam170690

Hi

I'm new here and have been trying for hours to do this job myself but have absolutely no photoshop skills. The image is of my mother in laws mother, and is the only phot she has left, I wanted to get it restored and colourised for her birthday but have had no luck. Any help will be hugely appreciated.

Many Thanks Adam

new.jpg

Pipsmom

Guru
Give me some time and I will post it back when I'm done, if not today it will be tomarrow since it needs so much repairing

adam170690

that really is amazing if so colour could be added id be forever grateful, I'm pretty sure there will be some tears when I show her

fredfish

Guru

If other member wanna do the colorization, go ahead.
ZeroCool22 I think this is an excellent repair and I really agree with your sentiment of "If other member wanna do the colorization, go ahead".

However my understanding of recent changes to the forum rules it is not permitted for other users to make changes to a members edit - even if they explicitly say it is OK. In my opinion this is a prime example of where perhaps the rules could be slightly more flexible.

My recollection of the explanation is that the free request section is to give members the opportunity to try out their PS skills and that if they are just adding to an existing edit they are not doing this - I am paraphrasing but I think I have it close.

Cheers

John

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I don't see any problem with altering someones edit as long as they give permission to do so. The rule is to discourage members from just altering other members work without permission.

fredfish

Guru
I don't see any problem with altering someones edit as long as they give permission to do so. The rule is to discourage members from just altering other members work without permission.

I completly agree with you - and when the post about changing edits came out I thought it was a bit much.

Here is a direct quote from post number 2 that you made in the thread Borrowing and Tweaking other members edits.

"I have been asked about giving consent. The original concept behind the free edit forum was to provide a place for PSG MEMBERS to practice real world skills in dealing with task specific editing. The forum is NOT there to provide a service for people looking for a free edit. The expectation is for our members to provide the best possible work they are capable of delivering. Consent for additional editing by members other than themselves defeats that purpose in the sense that they miss out on opportunities to improve their own work. Not allowing consent also removes the temptation of our lazier members who are not inclined to complete an edit or perform the entire edit for themselves.

The idea here is to stop the practice of borrowing and tweaking altogether, to avoid any confusion for our members whether seeking free edits or or providing them, making sure proper credit is given where credit is due, and avoiding extra work for the staff."

Reading that you can understand (I hope) why I made my post in this thread.

Cheers

John

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I totally see why you made the post John.

I made that post because there was a member who was one of the guilty parties of borrowing and tweaking edits who was looking for a loophole to continue the practice. I had to close that loophole at the time of posting, hence my statements on consent.

Not allowing consent also removes the temptation of our lazier members who are not inclined to complete an edit or perform the entire edit for themselves.

IamSam said:
The idea here is to stop the practice of borrowing and tweaking altogether..............
This did end the practice, which was the goal. Some members to which the ruling was intended, have stopped visiting the forum on their own accord.

Posts like you quoted, are very dynamic and subject to changes. You offered a great argument that made sense to me and at this point and time I agree with you. I don't see any reason why we can't allow some editing of others work as long as they give permission. I was in the process of altering the post when you responded.

fredfish

Guru
Completely get it Sam and thanks for the explanation. It is encouraging to see the evolutionary nature of the forum :thumbsup:

Cheers

John