What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recreating a 3D font...

dmiraie

Hey PG, long time no see!

I have a bit of a specific question here; I have a piece of source material and I need to replace one of the words in the image with a different word, but emulating the same font/coloration/lighting etc.
As a noob, I haven't attempted anything like this yet, and I was hoping somebody could give me a push in the right direction.. Thanks

(Here is the image, wherein I need to figure out how to recreate the font and replace some of the original words with new ones:)
TheMoreYouNihil.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi dmiraie, what version of Ps do you have. You will need a version with the 3D engine. Also, what word are you looking to replace and with what other word.

This may be more about recreating the entire image rather than trying to replace a word in the existing one. If so, the stardust trail may be the challenge here.

dmiraie

Hey I have the latest CC version. I wanted to replace "Know" with "Nihil." For a tongue-n-cheek effect I was hoping to maintain as much of the original look as possible, etc. I was thinking the less desirable plan B might be keeping the stardust and star and just replacing the text altogether.. but I'm still not sure how difficult/impossible it would be to recreate the same angling/lighting/gradients etc.. thanks for your help!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, not only lighting, position, and gradient, there's also the problem of getting the star to interact with the name Nihil, it would just have to go in between the letters. You would have to reconstruct portions of the top of the star.

How about just adding Nihil to the end, "The more you know Nihil"? That might be the easiest way to go.

Either way you go, you should start reading/watching any and all tutorials on creating 3D text.

dmiraie

Cool, thanks for your attention to detail; yes, some things to consider indeed, I'll hit up Youtube and start doing some research.. thnx!