What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remove white background from complex image

m_torp

Hello i have a rather complex logo which i have to remove the background from.
The background is completely white while the logo has a very darkish almost black color. However there are many white areas within the logo which are to small or narrow for the "quick selection tool to pickup"

Unfortunately i cannot publish the logo right now, i did however find a logo with a somewhat similar look.
I'm using Photoshop CS 5.1

tlrc-logo_300dpi_v2_by_zacxor.png
Thanks alot
- Martin

Duplicate the layer, then hide the original layer and go to- Select/ Colour Range/ choose Highlights from the drop down options. Now just press Ctrl + X.

Or you can double click the layer to get the blending options, then move the slide on the Blend If section.

All i did was duplicate and then pick the black portion with the magic wand, making sure bottom layer is turned off then make a new copy of magic wand layer.
blacklogo.png

You could also use blending options...just move the white slider a little and the white will disappear.

Attachments

• ScreenShot001.jpg
    ScreenShot001.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 1
If the image is high enough quality i would
1. Convert image mode to Grayscale
2. Convert image mode to Bitmap - select 50% threshold & output @ 72dpi/300dpi (whatever the original image DPI is)
3. Convert image back to grayscale mode
4. Convert image back to RGB mode
5. Go to Select > Select Colour Range > Use eyedropper tool and click on a white area
6. Hit backspace and delete

Converting the image to bitmap w/ 50% threshold means you're left with nothing but white and black pixels, so when you select the white area you get everything.

Using a blend mode is ok until you want to put something underneath it.

Back