What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing black from full color leaves black line

Ian Barnard

See attached image for reference. I'm trying to remove the black from a full color smart object illustration so then I can have another layer which has just black part so I can offset it and have its own texture to it. I need this to be non-destructive so that it can be used with any illustration. When I use the blending option sliders I'm left with a thin black like around the edge of the black. If I move the sliders any further the blue starts to disappear.

Hope that makes sense. Please let me know if you need any more info.

Ian

blending-options.png

Hi Ian and welcome to PSG.

If your trying to move the black from the image, it will require that you make a selection of the black. Using the blend if slider just removes it.

Correct me if I have misunderstood you.

Thanks IamSam,

Sorry forgot to mention that the PSD needs to be set up so other people can use it by pasting their illustration into the smart object. So the technique needs to be applied to that smart object layer.

It's just that thin black line that's stopping it from being 100% done.

Hope that makes it clearer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, if your goal is to simply remove the black, you can prep the image prior to making it a Smart Object.

Take the original image, remove the black using whatever technique you like, I prefer masking, duplicate the masked layer, apply the mask, then convert that final image into a SO.

Again, I may still be misunderstanding what you want, sorry if that's the case.

It's me not explaining how automotive it needs to be.

So the person using the document only needs to know how to paste their illustration into the smart object. Once they save it and return back to the main PSD it will have one version of the smart object as color without black and one with just the black. I will also have some effects and textures applied to each of these smart objects to give a vintage feel.

So that's why I'm trying to find a way to do it by either the blend if sliders or an adjustment layer.

Does that make sense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand what your trying to do. No need to explain that further.

What I don't understand is in the starting point, will the image in your PSD contain the black lettering?

OK............based on this, .....I'm trying to remove the black from a full color smart object illustration so then I can have another layer which has just black part so I can offset it and have its own texture to it.....

Select the black with any of the many selection techniques. Copy the selection to it's own layer. Now you have the black lettering on it's own layer so it can be placed on a new illustration.

Using the Blend if option under blending options, only removes the black.

Based on this...........It's just that thin black line that's stopping it from being 100% done.......

What's stopping you from removing the thin black line? Try the Erasure Tool.

Certainly, you can PM me with a download link or you can post it here. (after you make one more post)

That might help since I'm not understanding! I'm really sorry for that.

Last edited:
UPDATE: I have taken a look at the psd and as I have PM'd Ian.............I TOTALLY understand now what your trying to do AND what the problem is!

Nothing I suggested in the thread would have worked!

Unfortunately, I could not resolve the issue. Ian has everything in order and the thin black line remains. As I told him, I fear it could be a remnant left over from the creation of the original graphic.

Back