What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing person and adding to a different picture

DKott21

I've seen tutorials on this but none of them explained how to make it blend in so you can't even tell it was photoshopped into the picture. I use the magnetic lasso but there are always areas where it isn't smooth or part of the background is showing. Especially the hair. On top of that it will be better or worse quality than the picture I'm adding it to. Or it will be darker or lighter, etc etc. Can someone point me towards a tutorial that covers all of this and explains how to do this so it blends in perfectly.

Pebbiez

I've never been a fan of the magnetic lasso, sometimes it looks too rough for me. I usually use the Polygonal lasso tool, and zoom in REALLY far for accuracy. Or sometimes I use quick mask, also zooming in pretty far for accuracy. For hair, I do a rough selection, then after it's been pasted the the new image I use a layer mask to touch it up. That's just a personal preference though.

Here's a nice tutorial I found for ya :)
Selecting & Extracting Hair - Masking Tutorial - Extraction Tips | PhotoshopSupport.com

edit: err.. If you decide to go the quick mask route, make sure your brush settings are hard/100% opacity, otherwise you'll end up with some transparency on the object you want to extract.

Last edited:

Stric9

Power User
Post the photo in question please, because the method will depend on the photo itself.

It all depends on what images you are using. If the foreground (figure) has been shot with the specific intention of laying over the background, then it is relatively easy. You will need to separately match: edges, color and grain.

Edges: use a layer mask on the FG and paint your unwanted material. Edges should not be too sharp or blurry. If you can reference something in the BG then this will help.

Color: break this down into lightness, hue and saturation. Your tools will be curves, hue saturation and maybe levels.

Grain: add or remove grain using the grain tool.

You will also need to add a cast shadow into the new environment. For this you will need to make a new layer, set it to Multiply blend mode and paint the shadow in. Again try to refer to shadows in your images that are already there.

I attach a pdf that covers the basics.

Attachments

• 05_2 Adding_s.pdf
    770.4 KB · Views: 8

pcride

The magnetic lasso is great. Then after using that use the the quick selection tool to refine. Its a good way to outline (roughly) what you want. Also I think it does a great job. Then expand the edge slightly, blend layers. I think MS developed technology just for this, try using the Windows Essentials. There was a comerical on it a while back.