What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Resizing multiple layers at once

larkin

Hello, I need help with what seems to be simple task:

I have a document that has about 10 layers in it. One of them is a cross, that has precisely 1px thick lines. When I select all 10 layers that I want to resize, and do so, this cross gets blurred, disfigured. I dont exactly need it to stay the same size, but I need it to preserve its color and sharpness.

Before you reply: I need to use automation while resizing (I have like 600 documents to process), so I can't do it manually. I want to use resize on it too, because resize also changes it's position, so it stays on correct location after the image is resized. Example, I have that cross in the center of a wheel. When I resize the wheel, the cross is no longer in the center of it. When I select both layers and resize them, the cross is still in the center of a wheel, but is blurred.

Any kind of help will be appreciated. Thanks.

I am not sure I get it larkin, you try to resize ??? Could you explain what step you are actually doing ? you select your layer then? what do you mean by resize, resizing the dpi of your work? like resizing thru image menu, resize ? or seems you do a ctrl alt t and ??? Give us details in order to better understand what you mean please ;-)

Can you provide more info? What exactly is happening? What do you mean
"messing up the whole image?"

The link was removed.
This isn't a music site

Last edited by a moderator:
hold the shift key while resizing all layers

All you do is keep your finger on ctrl while selecting the layers you want to re-size, when all the layers you want are highlighted, press ctrl + t.

This will re-size all the layers at the same rate.

Also if the images are not vector images, they will reduce in quality when re-sizing.

Last edited:
Don't resize your cross. A 1px by 1px cross can't be sized down; it turns gray because it can't get smaller, and can't be sized up without the chance of it distorting (adding jaggies and the like) When selecting your layers to resize just avoid selecting the cross and you'll be hunky dory.

If you have to do this on many images and your cross is not on them yet, don't add it and use a batch script to resize all your images.

There's a good tutorial to do it here:

How to Batch Resize in Photoshop

If you're editing your images and not wanting to modify the document size I don't think there's a way to automate the resizing.

To center your transformation of all your layers. Select your layers, go to transform them (Ctrl+T) and hold (Shift+Alt+Click+Drag). This will use the mini cross that shows up in your transformation as the center point. You can position this cross wherever you like (even outside your selection) and it'll use that as the center.

Hope this helps!

Note: I am using Photoshop CS5

Back