What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saving As Tiff Gives Inaccurate View

multiplexer02

hi...
I want to save an image as tiff but when I open it with a viewer (microsoft office document imaging) the colors change and the image is cut in half...is this a problem with the particular viewer ?

Hoogle

Guru
well it depends what colour pallete your using in photoshop if you have it set to adobe 1998 you should be fine if your using cmyk or any other profile then the colours will look different from application to application unless you calibrate your colour scheme across all platforms

SeniorS

Guru
What elements you got in that tif? Maybe that micro... just can't display them proper?

Steve

Retired Administrator
Actually unless the viewer can use the color profiles it's going to look different than it does in PS.
Hoogle is right you'll see very little to a big difference depending on the profile.

Chances are your working in sRGB.
In that case the image probably looks flat and washed out in the viewer.

The bigger problem is:
"the image is cut in half".

The image should be properly displayed, what do you mean by that?

multiplexer02

Hoogleman: I am using the cmyk profile...
I don't know how to calibrate images to other applications but the thing is that I want to print this eventually and this must to be done...I suppose...

SeniorS: It's a drawing processed in illustrator and colored in photoshop...just that...

steve : The image doesn't appear as a whole in this viewer...it is cut in half and I can't think of a reason...

I wanted to attach the tiff file but the forum doesn't accept tiff format...I think...

multiplexer02

I attached this .rar file which contains the tiff problem...I hope this could give you an idea of the situation...

Attachments

• sanLoop.rar
    1.4 MB · Views: 14

Hoogle

Guru
Is it meant to be greyscale???? I have just opened it up in photoshop and microsoft picture viewer both look exactly the same saved it as jpegs in cmyk and RGB and still all looks the same maybe the problem is at my end but I am not getting any splitting in half or colour changes. Are you using a low end graphics card just asking because you have it set at 16 bit maybe your graphics card can not display it properly maybe try copying it into an 8 bit document but I doubt that would make much difference.

SeniorS

Guru
First, windows image viewer (i don't have that image maping but most if viewers works similiar) will show wrong colors because you have cmyk file but viewer try it show as rgb and you can ignore that.
Second, your image is 16bit per channel. Maybe that's a problem. Anyway for printing you need 8bit per channel. Change it by Image/Mode/8bit/Channel. And see if it helps.

Hoogle

Guru
here is a screen cap of photoshop vs picture viewer on my screen in cmyk
It looks like you have to change the colour scheme on your windows by right clicking your desktop selecting screen resolution and then as in ppicture below maybe just a reset to default system colours may fix it in the profiles tab.
Capture1.PNGresolution.PNG

SeniorS

Guru
By the way, where you gone print that?
Total Ink is way to high. Practicly 400%. Than will not end well.
You better convert it to some CMYK profile. Consult people who will print it for which profile is better.
And, of course, change 16bit -> 8bit/Channel.

multiplexer02

Ok guys the problem is fixed...I changed the mode to 8bit and amazingly the image appeared as a whole and colorful as I wanted !!! great help and many thanks...

Hoogleman : it was my mood that led me to the grey zone :) I used the palette...my card is NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT...maybe it's time to upgrade :)

Something that I forgot to ask...Is there a size limitation for printing this image ?

multiplexer02

I don't know where to print it yet and I don't have a clue about printing options...

"Total Ink is way to high. Practicly 400%. Than will not end well"...I am not sure if I understood what you mean...

I use the cmyk profile and I changed it to 8bit as you proposed...

SeniorS

Guru
Theoreticly no, there isn't any limits to size. Practicly, it have to fit paper obviously. Usually it's A4 or A3, max A2.
Your's fit A4 format so no problem with that.
But still i suggest to reduce colors coverage (or how it's in english).
If you'll print on home printer i'm pretty sure you'll get black rectangle with almost visible details. But maybe not :)
So if it happens then reduce colors by converting it to some profile like U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) 2 (just as example).

SeniorS

Guru
Changing to 8bit don't change total ink, cmyk profile don't restrict to have bigger total ink as it theoreticly want to be.
If you make image in cmyk and use layer blending options like multiply etc, it'll produce too much colors at the end.

multiplexer02

I will print it on a canvas at a printing store for graphics...I am thinking to printed on A3 size...will I need a re-size on image ?
I opened the info panel for total ink (I don't know the terminology) and the coverage on some areas are up to 393%...the Σ symbol...if I am right about the total...if I follow your advice of changing the profile I'll see the difference just on paper ? because I changed it and the total ink percentage is still the same...

SeniorS

Guru
I must say i'm not sure for 100% about that but canvas material is rough so it don't need 300dpi and image can be enlarged without damage.
It don't change physical percentage if you change profile in preferences (that change only how PS show it). You should Edit/Convert to Profile.
But with both of this question best thing is ask at that printing store. They should consult you or give prescription for file format/colors (profile)/dimensions/resolutions and probably something else. Maybe they need RGB file, some of them does.
Same with resizing. Consult with ones who will actually do work. You as customer don't have to know all that specific technic stuff, it's their job :)

multiplexer02

I must admit that some times I get nervous and I want to know everything :) Your advice put me in place though...
SeniorS...you are a real Senior...I don't know about the S though !!! :)
many thanks and I hope I find you next time I post a question or we can keep contact via email if this fits with your style of communication:)