What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scale Question

xCitrus

Hello,

I work at an art gallery and I've had a couple years of photoshop experience through designing ads and personal use. I'm having difficulty with this though. I was given the task of figuring out how we can photoshop in one of our paintings onto a room stock image (or a picture of a client's wall) to give clients an idea of what the piece might look like in their home. If the client gave us the wall dimensions, I think it would be a bit easier. I could use an example wall size of 8 ft by 9 ft long, but that still doesn't solve the problem of what to do with the painting picture or room picture.

I've worked out a pretty basic formula that seems to work sometimes, but not all of the time.

I'm not very mathematically inclined, but I think it's about right from what I remember from my algebra and math classes. If anyone is interested in taking a look, I'll attach the image of it at the end of the post.

My question is, does photoshop have an auto scale or ratio tool that I could use for situations like this?

Here is the stock room image that I've changed to 72 res:

Interiors-Kids-Room-Stock-Photo-02-72res.jpg

The original stock room image:

Interiors-Kids-Room-Stock-Photo-02.jpg

Here is a picture of one of the paintings, also at 72 res:

redcanvas36x48.JPG

The actual canvas itself is sized at 36 x 48"

The math:

scaleformula.jpg

Does anyone have any ideas on what I could try?

Thank you,
Heather

If I'm correctly understanding what you're trying to accomplish, you want to Photoshop an image of a painting into an image of a room, and have the painting be sized accurately relative to the dimensions of the room. Perhaps this method will work:

1. Below is an image I made a long time ago of a transparent scale from 1 to 8 units. (It only goes to 8 because I made it as an aid for the proportions of drawing a human figure. You can make your own scale that goes to 10, 12, or whatever.)
2. Let's say that in your room photo, you know that the height of the wall is 8 feet. Take my little 1 to 8 scale and paste it into your image on its own layer. Then use Edit>Transform>Scale to resize the 1-8 scale to exactly fit the height of the wall.
3. Now, let's say you know that your painting has a height of 3 feet. With the painting image on its own layer, resize the painting to measure 3 feet on the same 1-8 scale that is correctly sized to the room. (You may first want to convert the painting layer to a Smart Object, which helps to minimize distortion when resizing an image.)

The result is that the painting will be the proportionally correct size compared to the height of the wall. The same idea applies if you know the width of the wall rather than the height.

Rich

Scale.png

Back