What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

shadow white around the neclace

REDELL

Hello expert Photoshoppers,

I need some help/tip on how to clear out the white shadow on the necklace.

I added the necklace on the neck...But it seems the whiteness around the jewellery is so annoying. How to remove the whiteness?

Thanks.

error_white.jpg

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The whiteness comes from a poor selection of the necklace image.

What process did you use to make the selection?

Can you post the original image?

As gedstar has pointed out, you can also use the Clone Stamp Tool or the Brush Tool to clean up the image.

By the way, is the necklace in it's final position? It does not look natural.

REDELL

Thank you, IamSam.

I believe you are correct. For necklace selection. I did color range. Then move the necklace to picture1.

Can you help me how to place the necklace natural. I used transform - scale. then puppet to curve the left side.

REDELL

picture1.JPGpicture2.JPG

Picture1 is the girl.
Picture2 is the necklace.

...I selected picture2 via color range.
...Placed the picture2 in picture1 thru transform. Then used the puppet to curve the left side of necklace.

Please advise to make the merge of picture2 to picture1 more natural.

Appreciate all your guidance. Thanks.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First off, the images are far to low resolution to work with. You need larger images.

When you use "Color Range" set your fuzziness to 130.

Don't just delete the selection, use a layer mask.

Place a black BG behind the masked selection to show where you need to clean up.
Use the Brush Tool set to black on the layer mask to clean up.

Screen Shot 2016-04-13 at 8.06.47 AM.png

Cleaned up..
Screen Shot 2016-04-13 at 8.09.16 AM.png

REDELL

Thank you, IamSam for the tip on selection via color range.

As you've mentioned - How will I make the picture2 natural merge to picture1? Thanks for your time.

Can you advise on any tips and technique - putting the necklace on picture1. Picture1 is kinda slanted...difficult to just copy paste the necklace.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thank you, IamSam for the tip on selection via color range.

As you've mentioned - How will make the picture2 natural merge to picture1? Thanks for your time.
Well this is where the bad news comes.

Your trying to make a forward facing photo of a necklace fit naturally to a sideways turned subject. Unless your using a 3D representation of the necklace, it's never really going to look right. You'll have to continue using the methods you mentioned before.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
My best tip would be, find larger images to work with. Make sure the subject and the necklace are oriented correctly to each other before you start. Sorry.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I used warp and made it look alright, I then added a shadow at 50% opacity and a blur.

Screen Shot 2016-04-13 at 8.52.15 AM.png

REDELL

Thanks for the tip IamSam. Yup...the picture1 is sideway object. Very difficult to make the magic of photoshop. I guess maybe a color correction to match the skin and necklace will do the trick.

Thanks.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
By the way, I used a Gaussian blur on the shadow.

Here is a screenshot of the layers panel.
(quick note: I added a new layer mask to the necklace after I used warp. I did this so I could use refine mask for some clean up)
Screen Shot 2016-04-13 at 10.02.06 AM.png

Last edited:

REDELL

Hi IamSam,

Sorry...i don't follow the steps on the layer above the Background. The shadow. How did the transparent layer become black necklace?

necklaseblack.jpg

thanks,
Redell

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Create a new blank layer. Make sure it's highlighted.
Hold Cmd/Cntrl + Click the necklace layers-layer thumbnail to make the selection.
Fill the selection with whatever shadow color you desire..........I used black.