What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Simple Light Effect Turned Extremely Complicated?

Hi, I have a Photoshop document that needs a spotlight applied to the entire document. Lighting effects are usually by layer, so I opened it as a smart object as a workaround. But then, it wasn't editable and a dark part continued to appear dark. (the bottom shoe in the screenshot)

What's the easiest way to do this within the document? I tried making a solid color layer and applying the lighting effects to it but, no go. Opening it as a smart object is essentially like flattening it, too. I want to avoid that. Thanks in advance!

Also, does anyone know about copying individual lights? I know a set can be stored as a preset, but I was trying to create two lights so I would create one then flip it horizontally.
Any other way to create two identical lights mirrored along the y axis will also be appreciated.

Here's a screenshot to show my dilemmas:

Unfazed-2-1.jpg

The fact that lighting is treated so differently doesn't allow us to free transform or snap it in anyway. Quite difficult to center the cross shadow they cast.

Thanks for any help in advance! Much appreciated!

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

I have so many questions that I don't know where to start. Rather than ask a ton of questions, would you mind posting the .PSD ?? That would answer all my questions!

You may need to uplaod it to a hosting site and link it.

The song is published now so I could do that. I ended up creating a new document with the original as a linked smart object, and casting my lights from there. They still weren't systematically centered and arranged, but they appear to be. Any advice with the positioning of the lighting will be appreciated. I'll upload the PSDs soon but its around 500mb so I believe talking without it may be easier