What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skin color

Pipsmom

Guru
Sometimes I get it right ..sometimes I don't, all according to the original photograph and dpi..... I'm interested to know if how do you consistently apply skin tone shades to get it right 100% of the time. Right now according to lighting, condition of the skin scan and other factors I apply a foundation coat of F2eaC3, Color blend, opacity 3-10% to even out any discoloratons and even the skin tone.....then CMD J and change the color to C3a5a5, opacity anywhere from 5-17% so its not too pink

Is there another way to get the tone correct all the time?

Before picture scanned from a book
IMG_5863.JPG

After

Judge Thomas Molloy Meriwether.jpg

fredfish

Guru
After cleaning up the picture, make a new layer blend mode set to color and pick one of the colors of the chart below but you'll have to experiment...

View attachment 77021

Totally agree - have your original image open and the image @Eggy has provided open as well and then use the colourpicker tool ( while using the brush tool hold down the alt key to bring up the colourpicker ) to choose an appropriate flesh colour from the reference image. I wouldn't fixate on hex codes for thecolour.

Cheers

John

Last edited:
It's a very good restoration Pipsmom, and the skin tone color is perfect.
Though my general impression is that the image looks a little to soft, comparing it to the original foto.

If you don't mind I show you what kind of look I would go for.
I added the original image to your final image, retouched a few spots and softened the background, set the blend mode to soft light.
Like this I got back some of the original 'texture' . I think this looks more believable now.

Of course this is just my personal preference.

Judge Thomas Molloy Meriwether chris.jpg

Pipsmom

Guru
Thank you ChrisDesign, I am guilty of over softening sometimes in the Portraiture filter here at the end...... I try to constantly remind myself what you said way back when I started about over softening and try to keep a crisp line but sometimes it just my mood that day :rolleyes: