What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smart Object. Could not update smart object files because the file is already in use.

jampers

Hi,

I'm by no means an expert in photoshop. Im currently using CS6. I downloaded a free 'mockup' where i insert an image into a smart object and press save and that image looks like it is in a photo frame.

I was using this free download for over a week with no issues at all. Now each time i try and save the image so it appears into the frame i get the below error::

Could not update smart object files because the file is already in use or was left open by another application.

I have checked and no other program is open or using the image. I have had this issue for 2 days now. If i re-download the free mockup and try again i get the same error. I get the same error with any other smart object type file i try and use. I have uninstalled photoshop and reinstalled and still i get the error. I have searched google and had no luck at all.

Please can someone advise why this is happening. It's really starting to become frustrating.

Kind regards,
Enzo

colleague

Guru
Re: Smart Object. Could not update smart object files because the file is already in

You can try to save the mockup with another name
or recreate the mockup by copying the layers with their effects and place it in a new file

what is the link to this mockup ?

jampers

Re: Smart Object. Could not update smart object files because the file is already in

HI,

If i close and then press save i can get the image to work. If i then insert a second image and do the same i get the error message again. I have to close down the whole thing and open again in order to get a second image to save.

At least i can get it to work albeit with a little work around.

Thanks for your help with this.

Kind regards,
Enzo

MrToM

Guru

There is no need to close the PSB file after editing, just use FILE > SAVE or the shortcut CTRL + S

Once the PSB file is saved, (the asterisk will no longer be at the end of the tab), the PSD file will be updated....if not you can force an update via a right click on the Smart Object layer.

Keeping the PSB file open means you can quickly edit it to whatever you want....and every time you 'save' it the PSD file will (should) update to reflect those changes.

It can sometimes happen that closing a file forces it to save as the original, thus you are trying to use the initial PSD file as the smart object....creating a loop which of course throws up the error.

Also, the original file you downloaded was written in a PS version version later than CS6 and whilst this shouldn't really have any effect it is obviously not ideal.

I got an error when opening that file in CS6.

I didn't get any error opening the file uploaded by Colleague so I assume this was created in CS6.

If thats the case then I would advise using that version and not the original you downloaded.

So...keep BOTH the PSD file AND the PSB file open whilst editing smart objects.
Edit the PSB file and save..NOT save as...!
The PSD file should auto update with the changes once the PSB file has saved.

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

I'm running CS6 and the mockup from Enzo's link works just fine.

The only warning I received was some fonts were not available and substitutions would be made.

Screen Shot 2016-08-16 at 4.12.55 PM.png