What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suddenly unable to use or create text layers

Opened a file that I've used dozens of times; ps said fonts needed updating, which was odd. Then it wouldn't open the file if I gave it the ok to update; it would say 'program error'. If I said not to update, the files would open, but all font layers need updating (even Verdana?). Using the font tool, I can't click into the layer. I can change the font in the character window, but it immediately reverts. If I try to start a new layer, I get a program error.

I've dumped prefs; no change.
Checked performance allocations and all looks okay.
Tried uninstalling all fonts added in the last month; no change.

Ideas? :banghead:

No idea what the problem could be but the first thing I would do on a Windows machine is a cold boot.
Shut Down not Restart.

Then reboot.
At that point try resetting preferences again.
If you're not getting a duologue box saying "Delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings File" , you didn't do it right.

Thanks; I hadn't thought of that. I did check and all the font folders are where they should be. I keep thinking it must be a rogue font file, but I sure am not finding any duplicate or other conflict problems using Font Book and Font Case. Guess I could run TechTool and see if it finds anything. Sigh. My hands are tied and I have work to do!:banghead:

open Apps in there you will see folder "utilities" open Disk Utilities run repair permissions very self explanatory. youll see

looks like this
View attachment 2796

btw you should make a habit of doing that once in awhile

Last edited:
Ah, gotcha. Found quite a few things to fix; none fonts.

I can now use fonts in new psd docs, but the problem persists in already created files. Hope looms.

Back