What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Summer Bubble

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Some time ago Chrisdesign mentionned a lack of posting compositions. I agree with him. Come on girls and boys, start posting your work and don't be shy. We are here to learn and the best way is getting feedback. There is so much talent on this forum so lets see some of it.
Well, on this lazy sunday afternoon I worked on an idea (not mine).
I made my own interpretation of it. I came to a point that posting the work was the best way to get feedback to improve it.
So I started with:

young-man-pushing-something-isolated-white-background-33253370.jpg0605_0002.jpgfiets_trouw_1.png894861268_gta-8618.jpgaroon-the-bend.jpgNature___Forest_Road_in_the_autumn_forest_089480_.jpg

to get this:

summer bubble.jpg

Voila, please do comment...

:naughty:

A wonderful composite Eggy. Very nice light rays and excellent reflections! All in all very coooool!

I read Stephen King's Novel "Under the Dome" a while back. There, this scenario really happened. Scary and frightening.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Thanks for the comment Chris.
Actually I didn't mean to make it scary and frightening but more like a nostalgic feeling (missing the summer).
Also I feel there is something not quite right in this composition. (Beside artistic freedom)

summer bubble B.jpg

I think the zone in red should be a transition between the dark and the clear side, keeping the edge of the bubble clear.
One can actually look through that part of the bubble.
Tomorrow I will experiment with that.

Paul

Former Member
Great image Eggy, gives me an idea.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey Eggy, love the image! It works well as it is and as you have pointed out, a smoother transition might help. I have a slightly different idea that you may want to consider.

For me, I like how you made the edge of the dome congruent with the centerline of the highway. So for me I envision the continuing edge to follow the rest of the highway like this......
Screen Shot 2015-10-18 at 10.44.34 PM.png

So, if this were true, then the trees in the red zone would actually be outside the dome and would need to be included in the nightside forest.
Screen Shot 2015-10-18 at 10.47.14 PM.png

The dome would be doubled and therefore slightly more opaque.
Screen Shot 2015-10-18 at 10.53.21 PM.png

I know this eliminates most of the sunny sky, but it really adds realism.

Just a thought.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Thank you Sam.
Something kept bugging me and your vision is exactly what I had in mind!
I'll work on this and be back with an update!

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Thanks Chris.
As you can see, the edge is, on the inside, made from a black irregular stroke.
I think I can recreate the bulb distortion at the bottem with the spherize filter.
I'll start now and maybe today I'll post an update.

NB: am I really the only one to have trouble posting with IE11?
I'm mostly missing half of my letters. This doesn't occur with my back-up browser Firefox.

Last edited:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Well, I took Sam's advice and tried to combine his ideas with mine by adding a dark to light transition at the edge of the bubble.
That did not work. Then a took a look at at least 50 bubbles.
So I left the inside bright but opaque (less than Sam suggested).
In fact it is a compromise 'in the name of art' (wauw, did I really wrote that? Must be an OD of PS :eek:)

summer bubble.jpg

Suggestions anyone?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
One problem that I see is that you may have a hard time finding references of bubbles that have a brighter inside than the outside.

For this composite, there really would not be a transition, at least not in view. The trees and sky in the red zone (being outside the bubble), would just be dark. None of them would be inside the dome where it's light. There may be a slight glow from the dome, but it would be difficult to notice through two panes of the dome.

My example of the opacity of the inside of the bubble was exaggerated, I forgot to mention that, sorry.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Think of it this way, while there would be some type of atmosphere within the dome, does the the dome extend high enough to contain clouds? The curvature of the dome in the composite would only be a few hundred feet above the trees, all of the clouds would be outside the dome.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Good point there Sam.
What we are seeing here in terms of clouds are those outside the bubble just because we see through the bubble.
I need to darken that part including the sky (red zone). I'll keep the white haze since it is an effect of the reflecting sunlight inside the bubble.
I think the only way is to desaturate it to a point it matches the 'outside world' part on the left.

Well, I'll do that tomorrow. Today I had my share of PS.

To be to be continued...

I think the dome should be rounder and softer at the edges.
People inside or outside of it can only see it, if they see a reflection. Therefore reflections are very important in the image.
A thunderstorm outside should be of dark blueish colors and the inside of warm golden colors.

I tried this by doing some adjustments to your image. Hope you don't mind Eggy.

summer bubble chrisdesign.jpg

Paul

Former Member
Thanks Paul.

Care to let us in on your idea?
Or should I/we wait for the completion?

I will post it when i get it completed mate, a clue LIGHT BULB AND FLIGHT:cheesygrin: