What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This is the PSG I remember!

chrisatlemon

okay, starting a new thread, as the other one turned into a spam fest while I was away, lol ;)

I asked about what had happened to PSG because the site is now is not as I remembered it from when I first joined. Actually I must've first joined around 2003 or so, only that the forum database does not go back that far.

I found a version how of I last remembered it in the "way back archive":

The Photoshop Guru's Handbook - For the Intuitive Photoshop User

You can see in the top banner the original "photo shop guru". He may even have been Canadian if I remember well, unfortunately I cannot remember his name. Is he still knocking about?

On the right-hand side you see two 3-D text effect tutorials. I remember well doing the shiny chrome one, took me for ever, but I was so proud when I got it to look cool!

Anyone still left over from those days? ;)

Cheers

Chris

iDad

Guru
Wow that is so cool Seem to recall seeing the site like that but never thought of joining. way to many things going on back then

chrisatlemon

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Yup..... Canadian Mark Larmand - theKeeper... View Profile: theKeeper - Photoshop Gurus Forum - Tutorials, Resources and Latest on Photoshop . Musician , Web Designer and Photoshop Artist.

Trip through memory lane..... If I'm not mistaken, by the dates - this is version 3....
I have a download of the forum boards somewhere in my archives.... been looking for it, couldn't find it...

A lot of good tutes.... for PS 7 mainly. These I have.... wonder if I could update them for CS?

Last edited:

Steve

Retired Administrator
okay, starting a new thread, as the other one turned into a spam fest while I was away, lol ;)

I was away for three days and I also noticed how your thread deteriorated.
Just like we can't stop people from hijacking posts, we also can't stop people from posting spam.

We don't have new threads held for approval because we want people to be able to post PS questions immediately and hopefully get immediate responses.

The goal would be to have PSG be known as the "Go To Place" for PS answers.
Probably unachievable but that's the goal.

Because of that policy we get spam posts but I think you'll agree most of that spam doesn't stay up very long.

We also count on our members to report spam when they see it.

SeniorS

Guru
We also count on our members to report spam when they see it.

That's can tricky for me.
For example in old thread http://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/photoshop-gurus-news-announcements/26893-forum-software-upgraded.html
cocopark2011: Yeah, this will be a good change ! I have noticed the new theme!
Last post must been spam from bot, becouse all others post from "it" are definetly "spam". But this post so "natural". And how the hell "it" finds out about new theme?

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
At the time, I remember rarely encountering spam posts and such. In fact I remember email verification for new members.

Yes, occasionally there were a few who manage to get in, but it's unlike today.

chrisatlemon

@Steve: my post was not meant as a criticism for the admins here by any means! And yes I see that you guys clean up the mess permanently. I was simply surprised by the amount of ridiculous posts that seem to appear in every new thread. as I said: I would not want to be in your shoes. It must get tiring cleaning up all day long...

I cannot remember when I joined, but is there no e-mail verification before activating an account? I would say that is the minimum standard these days.

Cheers

Chris

PS: now you mention it I looked and I spotted the little triangle bottom left of every post a report spam. I will make use of it!

Last edited:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
We have to expect the mess will come in most especially while the mods aren't around. Considering they are from one hemisphere, while they're asleep that's when most of the spammers come in. I've seldomly come across any during the mods peek viewing time - between 3am to 9am my time.

Try checking the forum at about 11am - 5pm (my time) and you'll see them popping in ..... a few of days ago - obviously the same person but with 5 accounts .... all the same name but difference was in the ending numbers..... like SeniorS123 , SeniorS456 , SeniorS789 . ... so on.... sori SeniorS... just using your name as an example..... lol

SeniorS

Guru
That brings up question i had - how to separate one from other?
For example serena85? Is that bot or not?
If it is...then its a brand new one writen especially for this PhotoShopGuru forum and its rules (signature apeared after 10 posts).
Or maybe its human but i doubt it.