What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trouble cropping excess to certain shape.

AmandaJane

Hi. I am trying to crop out the excess that goes beyond the gray square but I can't figure out how to do this. I am getting very frustrated because I know it is something simple. I want to create one image with the square and masks, but cut the excess. Right now each piece is a separate layer. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Best.
Amanda

hn.jpg

hn copy.pngAmanda if you want to have a transparent background you will want to make sure and save the image as png or other file type that allows for transparency. Jpeg format will fill any empty pixes with white. I just selected the white around the edge with the magic wand and created a mask. The background of this page is white so it still looks white untill you put it on something else.

Double click the BG layer if it is separate layer with white to make it transparent. Otherwise, you'll have to edit out the white just as Stric9 says above. A mask is the best way I know too as it allows you to fix mistakes and clean up edges easily. If you want to test for white pixels on the edge, make a new layer and move it to the bottom, then fill it with a dark color or black.

if it is not on a seperate layer then select either magic eraser put tolerence up to 30 - 35 and just click on the white bits save image as a png with interlace as none by the way you may be better creating this as a vector image seems a bit jagged on edges
hn.png

Attachments

• hn.png
    hn.png
    57.9 KB · Views: 19
however if you press ctrl A and then go to edit define brush preset and save it as a brush then open a new document it with a transparant background select the brush you could have better results rather than editing it again
sorry selected the wrong file earlier so uploaded 1 of the wrong images this 1 is all semi transparant so will depend what the background is on its outcome
brush.png

AmandaJane, could you post the PSD? I think I know what your talking about, but it would be a lot easier to do if I was working with the same thing

Or is this what you were meaning?

I think that is what she meant, thats the same thing I was gonna do. I didnt think that was too hard to comprehend based off what she said, but apparently she didnt explain it good enough for some lol.

I didnt think that was too hard to comprehend based off what she said, but apparently she didnt explain it good enough for some lol.

Wow really? That's an awful lot of sass coming from someone who needed the .psd to fix the issue. Kids these days.:banghead:

Wow really? That's an awful lot of sass coming from someone who needed the .psd to fix the issue. Kids these days.:banghead:

There wasnt any sass at all, I was simply saying her choice of words obviously caused people to think different things, as there 2-3 were different angles/observations to her problem. People see certain words, and might think/comprehend it differently based off their knowledge/experiences. I wasnt trying to imply that everyone else who posted was wrong/stupid for not understanding what she meant, as your trying to make me look. I simply stated that based off what she said I think understood what she meant and that maybe her word choice/description didnt connect with the others. And I didnt need the .PSD, I was asking so I could see exactly what she was working with and how she had it set up, plus help her in the long run since I could simply send her back the .PSD when I was done so she could visually see what I did, instead of me trying to explain it to her with just words. And no I'm not a kid either. No offense, but lighten up a little, I mean there's no reason to try to put me down and call me a kid when you dont know anything about me. Look, I'm just here to help people and further my PS skills, in fact the only reason I found this site because one of the threads came up in a Google search, and I saw that I could help the person with their request, so I signed up so I could respond to them.

If all this is the case then you have my apologizes. Although I'm not really sure how else any of the previous posters to this thread could have taken your comment much differently than I did. Perhaps they will repost themselves. You may want to choose your words more carefully in the future though to head off any other misunderstandings.

Amanda, what you need to do to fix the issue that you are having is hold alt or option key (depends on your platform) and click between all the layers in the layers pallet, (you will notice that your icon will change when in the right spot) starting with the first layer above the gray square, this will clip all the above layers to the shape layer below and they will only show up in the area that the shape layer exists. Although I don't know what application this is for. The way the masks hang over the shape adds a sense of depth to the design which I happen to like. But it may not be appropriate for where and what you are using this for.

Hope this helps and clears up any misunderstandings.

Thanks for all of the help everyone. I figured it out using clipping mask and illustrator.

Best.
Amanda

Back