What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trouble with Brushes

JETnomads

Hi

I have just bought a new ASUS laptop and installed my Photoshop CS5 on it.

All seems to be well except for brushes. For some reason they are simply not showing up.

Running Windows 8.1.

Any suggestions or advice?

cheers

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Hi

I have just bought a new ASUS laptop and installed my Photoshop CS5 on it.

All seems to be well except for brushes. For some reason they are simply not showing up.

Running Windows 8.1.

Any suggestions or advice?

cheers

Are the brushes in the folder ? That would be Programs/Adobe/Photoshop CS5/Presets/Brushes? If so, have they been loaded into PS since you re-installed it? The brushes would not be inherent with a clean install of PS.

JETnomads

Are the brushes in the folder ? That would be Programs/Adobe/Photoshop CS5/Presets/Brushes? If so, have they been loaded into PS since you re-installed it? The brushes would not be inherent with a clean install of PS.

Yes the brushes are in the preset folder. I have tried to load them again from there .. still nothing... When I go to the preset manager the brushes seem to be listed there fine. but back in brush tab and the brush presets area they are just grayed out.

ALB68

Yes the brushes are in the preset folder. I have tried to load them again from there .. still nothing... When I go to the preset manager the brushes seem to be listed there fine. but back in brush tab and the brush presets area they are just grayed out.
I assume you have shut PS down and reloaded it. This is a bit mysterious. Have you tried Deleting and resetting your PS preferences? Sometimes this will solve weird problems.

ALB68

Are you using a tablet?
Will the default brushes work or is it just the third party brushes that don't work?

Last edited:

JETnomads

I assume you have shut PS down and reloaded it. This is a bit mysterious. Have you tried Deleting and resetting your PS preferences? Sometimes this will solve weird problems.

To the shutting down and reloading .. yes many many times. to the resetting PS preferences No. I will look at that.

JETnomads

Are you using a tablet?
Will the default brushes work or is it just the third party brushes that don't work?

No. I am using an ASUS laptop (Republic of Gamers) .. 16gb ram etc.

No its the default brushes that dont work. I might try loading some of the others and see what happens.

There is just nothing usable at all showing.

Last edited:

ALB68

No. I am using an ASUS laptop (Republic of Gamers) .. 16gb ram etc.

No its the default brushes that dont work. I might try loading some of the others and see what happens.

There is just nothing usable at all showing.

No, I meant a graphics table like a Wacom.

JETnomads

No, I meant a graphics table like a Wacom.

Sorry misunderstood. No .. just a mouse.. Bought a Wacom a couple of years ago could not get on with it.. hidden in the bottom of a cupboard.

Just tried to load some extra (other) brushes.. Still do not work.

JETnomads

Have you upgraded Photoshop? If you have your serial number or an account at Adobe you should be able to download the compatible version for Windows 8.1.

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs5-product-downloads.html

OK went and had a look at that area. Not sure how it would be any different from my disk. It is simply a file, not a specific file for a specific operating system other than the Mac - Windows choice. It is over a gb of download and I am on a limited download. I would like to be sure it was different before I wasted that much of my data on it I think.

Trying to get any information out of Adobe is impossible.

MrToM

Guru
The 'Color Replacement Tool' will not allow you to change brushes......do you have that selected instead of the 'Brush' tool?

Check your tool selection and verify you have the 'Brush' tool selected.....its the top tool of the 'Brush' flyout menu. (Click and hold on 'Brush' icon for flyout menu)

Regards.
MrTom.

JETnomads

I have no idea why, but I uninstalled the program and re installed it and now its working fine.. go figure.

Maybe a glitch in the first install.

BUT.. I cant thank you all enough for all your advice and trouble trying to work it out for me.

Great site, great help.

Cheers

MrToM

Guru
...I have no idea why, but I uninstalled the program and re installed it...
...because when you re-install it it will default back to the 'Brush' tool.

Just out of curiosity try changing the tool to 'Color Replacement Tool' and see if you get the same thing happen....I'd like to know if that was the cause....it may help others if they encounter the same issue.

Regards.
MrTom.

ALB68

I have no idea why, but I uninstalled the program and re installed it and now its working fine.. go figure.

Maybe a glitch in the first install.

BUT.. I cant thank you all enough for all your advice and trouble trying to work it out for me.

Great site, great help.

Cheers

Hooray! Got it working. Glad you got it going.

JETnomads

...because when you re-install it it will default back to the 'Brush' tool.

Just out of curiosity try changing the tool to 'Color Replacement Tool' and see if you get the same thing happen....I'd like to know if that was the cause....it may help others if they encounter the same issue.

It is grayed out with I click colour replecement tool now. But I have to be honest and say that I probably have never clicked on this tool before as I have never used it. But its fine with the brush, pencil and the mixer brush.

Cheers