What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turn 3d model into digital painting

gobhniu

Hello,

So I have been trying for a while now to turn this picture:
test.png

into this style of image:

41.jpg

Now after reading and watching a lot of tutorials on the subject I came up with that mediocer result:
test2.png
wich looks like garbage if you ask me...I used the following techniques: Reduce noise, increase contrasts and clean up the skin with the smudge tool.
It doesn't look anywhere near what I want to achieve.

So I was wondering if someone could walk me into the right direction to get the effect I wanna achieve...

MrToM

Guru
...So I was wondering if someone could walk me into the right direction to get the effect I wanna achieve...
In short you need to learn how to create images of the kind you require...be that by online tutorials or attending an 'Art' course over a period of years.

Once you have your new found skills create a 'texture' map based on the UV's of the model.

Apply the 'texture' map to the model....job done.

Learning how to paint, draw, sketch or whatever is not something anyone here can teach you.
Sure, we can help with specific PS questions but you'll need the skills to create an image like that in the first place.

Regards.
MrToM.

gobhniu

Thanks,
Just to be clear tho I do not need the 3d model. I am just using it as a canvas as I figured it would be easier. The final product would be a picture, not a 3d model.

Now I understand I will not be able to achieve something that looks as good as the example I gave but is there a technic to give an image that "painting" feeling? Or do I have to draw it myself?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

As MrToM has already stated, you will have to learn some basic digital painting skills. Here are a few tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Painting+with+Photoshop

You can certainly use the 3D model as your base without any problems. If you had a much larger version of the 3D image, I could show you some simple techniques, the one you posted is way too small.

gobhniu

Thanks,
The only thing is I don't have a tablet so I was more looking for a technique to obtain something decent without drawing or with minimal drawing (that could be done with a mouse)
Here's a bigger version of the original image:
test.png

1. Desaturate the image.
2. Reduce the mid tones with curves.
3. Create a new layer, (blend mode multiply), and paint in some colors.

The result is close to your sample image.

test chrisdesign.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks,
The only thing is I don't have a tablet so I was more looking for a technique to obtain something decent without drawing or with minimal drawing (that could be done with a mouse)
Not having a tablet will definitely hinder painting. Almost everything I was thinking about for helping you out with, would be difficult without a Pen and Tablet.

Here's an example. The eyebrows were added in about 5 minutes using the Brush Tool with a tablet on a new layer. I set the tool to 100% opacity, 30% flow, ticked on the "Pen pressure for opacity" icon.
Screen Shot 2016-01-03 at 6.07.58 PM.png

This would be difficult with a mouse.

There's so much wrong with this 3D image, mainly the eyes and nose! I would just have to re-paint both if I were working on this image seriously.

But I took about 20 minutes just to show what quick changes can be made with the Brush Tool.
This is quick and dirty work,. If I had more time I would add hair and makeup.
gif_image_01.jpg

Last edited: