What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using Bump Maps For "added effect"

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
Okay, so normally(no pun intended) I use normal maps for 3d models that need a teenie bit more detail here and there.

but to be frank, I never actually tried to use a bump map on a general image, and the curiosity got the better of me.
The normal mapping tool I used is something called Quixel NDO, it's a program that runs parallel to Photoshop and converts an image into a normal map on demand, and you can modify it which is kinda cool, I use it a lot these days.

But anyway, I fooled around for a while and this was one of the better outcomes:

sea_stallion_experiment_by_zeealex-d8c59af.jpg

original image:
107410_2014-10-26_00034.png

comments are welcome! :D

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Interesting. Not into 3d much, but do you have PS 2014? A new feature in 2014 is to make bump maps -under Filter/3d/Generate Bump Map or Generate Normal map.
Thanks for showing this.

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
I didnt know that, thanks! I still have CS6, I cant afford the subscription and CS6 serves my needs pretty well.

Quixel NDO is amazing, one off payement of £20 and I was away, It looks a lot easier to use as well. Just checked out the feature with photoshop it looks good but extremely long winded, quixel does everything in one click :)

MrToM

Guru
How does Quixel compare with the [industry standard?] NVIDIA normal map plugin?
(Which is free BTW)

I don't really use normal maps that often but nevertheless I've always had really good results with NVIDIA and so never looked any further.

And here's a thought along the lines you've done so far....how about using a 'normal' map, converted to greyscale, and then used as a 'displace' map in PS?

You'd need the greyscale 'normal' map in a separate psd file but that's no big deal.

Just a thought.

Regards.
MrTom.

Last edited:

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
If i'm going to be completely frank, I could never get nvidias plugin to actually make a usable normal map, I was probably doing something incredibly stupid but I did use the dds plugin a lot, so it came in handy somewhere.

quixel works like a 2D version of mudbox, you can sculpt directly onto the normal map, change how it looks and control pretty much every aspect of what the final map looks like. Not to mention you can preview the normal map on the model in realtime without leaving photoshop, any quixel package you buy comes with a 3D preview too for free. Its very easy to pick up its literally just open an image and click the generate normal map from image button.

Quixel is getting used by a good few developers, for a program thats not even a year old, its doing pretty well. If you're curious about it, theres a free 45 day trial of the entire suite so you get access to its diffuse creation tools too, its an application that runs parallel to photoshop 64 bit, so it automatically launches photoshop when you load the program.

Hmm I like the idea of repurposing the maps as a displacement map for the image, i'll give it a go, thanks!

MrToM

Guru
...I could never get nvidias plugin to actually make a usable normal map...
LOL, yeah.......It's not the easiest......granted.

...theres a free 45 day trial...
I'll look into it....thanks.

...Hmm I like the idea of repurposing the maps as a displacement map for the image, i'll give it a go, thanks!...
It just kind of struck me as being the next step...ya know?

Anyways....liking what you've done so far.

Regards.
MrTom.