What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weird Halos Help!

lil_nomad

I am getting weird halos around the head of my model?
I had this once on an outdoor pic but currently struggling with a photo where I made the background transparent, then saved it as a jpeg. The resulting JPEG has the white background, with this white halo still there? What am I doing wrong? Driving me bananas. Thanks so much!

Attachments

• halo.jpg
    halo.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 6
  • photoshop.jpg
    photoshop.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 6
  • photoshop.jpg
    photoshop.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
Your masking isn't quite 100% transparent.

Make sure your 'transparent' area truly IS 100% transparent.

Looks to me as if you have maybe a 1% opacity setting on those pixels that you call a 'halo'.

Don't quote me on that though....it could be 2%.

If you set up your INFO Panel like this...

info_opacity_A_01.png

...you can constantly check the transparency.

Regards.
MrTom.

Last edited:

lil_nomad

Thanks Mr Tom!

I had a look at the info panel and it appears you're right but how do I change this?

I also had this with the outdoors photo below, not sure what's going on in the first place?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2015-02-26 21.01.51.png
    Screenshot 2015-02-26 21.01.51.png
    279.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8545m_ppg.jpg
    IMG_8545m_ppg.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
...Thanks Mr Tom!... ...you're right but how do I change this? I also had this with the outdoors photo below, not sure what's going on in the first place?

No worries.

I couldn't say for sure but all you need to do is just delete any pixels in the affected area.
If you can still make a selection around what you want to keep then you could invert that selection and hit 'delete' a couple of times.

That should ensure that any pixels remaining are completely removed.

Without knowing how you made your original selection its difficult to say why you had this issue....just make sure in future that you check the surrounding area with the info panel for transparent pixels that are not visible to the naked eye.

One trick I use is to temporarily apply a drop shadow to a layer with transparency....crank up the settings so its good and dark and any 'stray' transparent pixels will stand out like a baboons bum.

This makes it dead easy to then clean everything up.....then just delete the drop shadow when you're done.

Its not shown in your screen shot but did the problem area have an opacity other than 100%?

Regards.
MrTom.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Thanks Mr Tom!

I had a look at the info panel and it appears you're right but how do I change this?

I also had this with the outdoors photo below, not sure what's going on in the first place?

In your first post's screenshot, I see you've used a mask. If you had one applied on the model layer, maybe the areas around the head aren't 100% black?..... Brush black in the areas to completely hide it.

Or ... if you simply deleted the background, the halo are leftovers - the result of not fully selecting everything in the background. Maybe the result of using Select Color Range or if you created the mask in Mask Mode with a brush at a lower opacity or strength. If so, use the eraser tool to see if it clears the halo.

MrToms add a shadow suggestion will also work for as long as there's enough transparent pixels for the filter to base the shadow from. Play around with the shadow direction angle so you can determine the extent of what and where to delete.

Try his suggestion, too.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I agree with MrT that this appears to be leftover pixels from the masking process. It would help us to know what the original background looked like.

I would like to see your layer mask. You show this by hitting Alt/Option + clicking the layer mask.

Show this version....
Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 5.04.11 AM.png

And this hit Command/Control + I to invert the selection, show that version....
Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 5.11.06 AM.png

Hit Command/Control + I to set the layer mask back to normal.

Hit Alt/Option + click the layer mask OR just click on the layers thumbnail to return the layer back to normal.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Although both can, the inverted mask view will show any leftover pixels like this............

Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 5.41.57 AM.png

lil_nomad

Thanks for that!

I have tried selecting with magic wand tool, selection tool etc and then deleting but it still stays. :(

Here are the images with it showing:
Screenshot 2015-02-27 01.04.21.pngScreenshot 2015-02-27 01.05.21.png
Here is another image and it looks like a certain process (see history panel) seemed to cause the halo? Random..?
Screenshot 2015-02-27 23.35.40.png

Also, it seems to always be in the same place?

Thank you!

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
To be honest it would be much easier to see what's going on if you could upload the PSD file.

The screen shots are great but its not possible to see whats going on just by looking at them.....with this sort of thing you have to do things by the numbers and that means on the original file.

If you can see your way to uploading the PSD file it'll take out all the guesswork.

Regards.
MrTom.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Again, I totally agree with MrT.

To state the obvious, there's something in your work flow that your doing causing the issue. A PSD would help us to weed it out.

I would start by just turning off layers (and back on) until I find the layer causing the issue. Process of elimination.

lil_nomad

Sorry, gone all weekend, thank you for the replies. I'll try that. You're right, quite obvious really! Thanks!