What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to Wrap Texts Around this Image?

HumblyLearning

Hi gurus!

I am so glad to have found my way here, because I could sure use your expertise.

I am using Photoshop 7.0 and have found that a lot of the You Tube videos don't have instructions catering to my version of Photoshop. Can someone please tell me how I can wrap the word "strength" around this silhouette, as I have shown below? I hand-wrote the word "strength" to show you how I want it positioned - basically only the bottom part of the alphabets wrap around that side of the silhouette. The top part of the alphabets still line up straight. I really am a newbie, but if you give me clear instructions, I promise I will do my best to follow them and get back to you.

Thank you so much. And please don't ask me to get a new version of Photoshop. ;P

Attachments

• help.jpg
    help.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 2

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
First of all, let me welcome you to our forum. I'm sure you will find it helpful and informative.

In order to accomplish your goal, the red silhouette will have to have a vector line outlining it. You would accomplish that by using the Pen tool. Once done, you can use the type tool to fit the text to the path you created. I honestly don't remember if that works with Version 7 or not but am acting on the assumption that it does. Are you familiar with the Pen tool and how to use it? Being a total "newbie" as you described yourself you may be handicapped with this without doing some study on your own,

Edit: Looked at this a bit more. You may be able to do this by just typing each individual letter and manipulating to fit the way you want it to look but without PS knowledge a good explanation to instruct you on how to do this would be a bit involved. Since you only want the first letters to follow the contour, you could use the pen tool and fit text to path on that part and then just type and place the last 4 letters.

Last edited:

HumblyLearning

First of all, let me welcome you to our forum. I'm sure you will find it helpful and informative.

In order to accomplish your goal, the red silhouette will have to have a vector line outlining it. You would accomplish that by using the Pen tool. Once done, you can use the type tool to fit the text to the path you created. I honestly don't remember if that works with Version 7 or not but am acting on the assumption that it does. Are you familiar with the Pen tool and how to use it? Being a total "newbie" as you described yourself you may be handicapped with this without doing some study on your own,

Edit: Looked at this a bit more. You may be able to do this by just typing each individual letter and manipulating to fit the way you want it to look but without PS knowledge a good explanation to instruct you on how to do this would be a bit involved. Since you only want the first letters to follow the contour, you could use the pen tool and fit text to path on that part and then just type and place the last 4 letters.
Thanks so much. I am interested in the second method since I am pretty new. So yo uare saying I can just type the word "strength" and stretch the bottom parts of those letters to make them wrap around the silhouette? Can you explain in more detail how I would do that? Please? I don't understand why the pen tool when I would be typing (not actually doing it with the pen tool). Maybe I just don't understand.

ALB68

Yes, just type the text and use Ctrl T to free transform. You will have to type each individual letter and manipulate them. Here is what I just did by just moving the letters and positioning them. You can get creative with yours, I am just trying to demonstrate.
View attachment 50262

Thanks so much. I am interested in the second method since I am pretty new. So yo uare saying I can just type the word "strength" and stretch the bottom parts of those letters to make them wrap around the silhouette? Can you explain in more detail how I would do that? Please? I don't understand why the pen tool when I would be typing (not actually doing it with the pen tool). Maybe I just don't understand.

Attachments

• strength.JPG
    strength.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

ALB68

To further explain..in most cases where you want text to follow a curvy line, a vector path has to be created. This is first done with the PEN tool. The text will automatically allow itself to be fitted to the curvy line simply my hovering the text tool over the line (path) until there is a little curve symbol showing under the text tool. Then you can start typing and the text follows the curve.

What you wanted to do actually could be done the way we described.
text to path.PNG

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
Just to add to the excellent fountain of suggestions from Larry...

It gives you a result very similar to your example but doesn't use paths....so you may find it a little easier.

This was recorded with PS 7 so changing the values in the 'Character' panel was done using the keyboard arrow keys....along with 'Shift' for coarser adjustment.

Not recorded was rotating the Canvas 90CW using Image > Rotate Canvas > 90CW....because I forgot...DOH!
Unfortunately despite remembering to record it at the end, the dropdown displayed on the left....(thanks Microsoft for that brilliant default idea...sheeeesh!), so it isn't visible either.
Just use Image > Rotate Canvas 90CCW when you're done.

[video=youtube_share;ofJCwK15t5w]http://youtu.be/ofJCwK15t5w[/video]

Regards.
MrTom.

ALB68

Excellent suggestion MrTom !. I am a bit hamstrung as I don't have a copy of Version 7 handy and the OP has limited knowledge so I tried to stay as basic as possible without confusing him anymore..LOL. (my bad..not his)
Thanks for the reply!

HumblyLearning

OMG... Thank you so much ALB68 and MrTom!! MrTom, wow... so nice of you to make a video just to help me. You have no idea how much I appreciate it. I watched the video several times and was able to follow along. I just did it! This part is complete! ALB68, I actually tried your method first, doing letter by letter. Then when I got comfortable, I did MrTom's way. Hence both of you helped. This is my first day on this board and I am feeling so loved!

Can I please ask another question? This is another part of the poster I need to do. I PROMISE this is my last question. This time, I have to write the words "soar on wings" where this gymnast's arm and head is, and then write "like eagles" on her leg. Again, I have handwritten what I need to do in this attachment. (Please note I MUST use a script font on this.) I just don't see how I can do this one without paths. I honestly don't know how to do paths with my Photoshop. Those YouTube videos tell me that once I draw a path, then when I click "T" and put my cursor on the path, the cursor should change to a squiggly thing but it doesn't in my Photoshop. Pretty pretty please can you help me with this one??? Again, I am really thankful.

Attachments

• gymnastics.jpg
    gymnastics.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 38

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MrTom will have to confirm this, but from what I have read, PS7 was not capable of creating Text on a Path.

ALB68

I am recalling that your right Sam. I remember being frustrated with it because I could do it in Corel and PS would not. But let's let MrTom be the final authority on this as he has as old one handy.
If the OP doesn't have the capability, maybe one of us can step up and give him a hand on getting him what he needs using our software.
MrTom will have to confirm this, but from what I have read, PS7 was not capable of creating Text on a Path.

MrToM

Guru
LOL....I was just in the middle of recording that very fact...

Give me 15 mins and I'll have another tutorial uploaded.

Regards.
MrTom.

MrToM

Guru
Here ya go...

As already mentioned PS 7 doesn't have the option to have text follow a path so this is what I came up with...

[video=youtube_share;wtfswbnbWZQ]http://youtu.be/wtfswbnbWZQ[/video]

Close enough?

Regards.
MrTom.

HumblyLearning

In thar case, Tom do you have another idea how I can do it with a scripted font and no path?

Of course, I want to do it myself but worse comes to worse, if there is no way in my version of Photoshop, please can you do it for me? I need to finish the poster. Pls reply.

ALB68

I believe he just did in the previous post..no?
In thar case, Tom do you have another idea how I can do it with a scripted font and no path?

Of course, I want to do it myself but worse comes to worse, if there is no way in my version of Photoshop, please can you do it for me? I need to finish the poster. Pls reply.

MrToM

Guru
...In thar case, Tom do you have another idea how I can do it with a scripted font and no path?

Yes.

...Of course, I want to do it myself but worse comes to worse, if there is no way in my version of Photoshop, please can you do it for me? I need to finish the poster. Pls reply.

Well....er....didn't I just do that in that last video?

Why doesn't that way work for you?

Regards.
MrTom.

MrToM

Guru
LOL....beat me to it Larry!

Are you taking lessons from Sam? :rofl:
That's what he does!

Regards.
MrTom.

HumblyLearning

I am so sorry. I didn't know there was a page 2 when I replied initially. I will watch video, try your instructions and get back to you. You are so kind for recording it for me! You will hear from me again!

MrToM

Guru
...I will watch video, try your instructions and get back to you. You are so kind for recording it for me! You will hear from me again!

No worries....that's what the forum is all about....helping others.

If there is anything in the video that you don't understand, just ask.....I tried to get everything in but no doubt I've missed some vital information somewhere.....although its no worse than the last one and you followed that OK so fingers crossed.

Regards.
MrTom.

HumblyLearning

Just fnished following video. OMG... these are perfect instructions! I just tried it out and got everything to work! Thank you thank you thank you!!

On Photoshop, Control T is now my best friend. :) I had no idea that was available before.

If there's any way to donate to this website I totally would. You guys have been so helpful!

So Is Photoshop 7.0 considered an old version? I thought the higher the number, the newer the version was. What is the newest version of Photoshop in case I want to consider?

Last edited: