What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Colour subject with B&W background help

efiste2

Many moons ago I was able to do this edit in a previous version of Photoshop. But I seem to have lost my way on it again, So im hoping you guru's can help me to recall how its done.

I want to have a COLOUR subject against a B&W background. from what I recall you have to create a second layer, then greyscale it, then MERGE the two layers, then ERASE the colour layer from around the subject hence turning the background to the grayscale of the new layer but leaving the subject in colour.

However Im now using PHOTOSHOP ELEMNTS 6 which I find exaclty what I need, but cant seem to find the GREYSCALE option, or the MERGE option.

Hoping you experts can point me in the right direction.....;)

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Many moons ago I was able to do this edit in a previous version of Photoshop. But I seem to have lost my way on it again, So im hoping you guru's can help me to recall how its done.

I want to have a COLOUR subject against a B&W background. from what I recall you have to create a second layer, then greyscale it, then MERGE the two layers, then ERASE the colour layer from around the subject hence turning the background to the grayscale of the new layer but leaving the subject in colour.

However Im now using PHOTOSHOP ELEMNTS 6 which I find exaclty what I need, but cant seem to find the GREYSCALE option, or the MERGE option.

Hoping you experts can point me in the right direction.....;)

I am sorry, I don't have PS Elements but I am hoping you have pretty much the same thing as Photoshop. This is the way I would do what your describing. I would simply make two layers with the same photo. Then on the top layer, add a Black and White Adjustment Layer clipped to the top layer (hover mouse and press the Alt key and the downward pointing arrow will appear) . This makes the Adjustment Layer only effect the layer it's clipped to. Then simply take your paint brush and paint in the mask to reveal the color underneath. As such:
colorgrey.PNG
Edit: I have to apologize again, after looking around I don't think that version has that adjustment layer. Maybe someone else can help you with your question.

Last edited: