What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Make an image appear partially inside and partially outside a frame or other shape

Hi all I am completely new to all of this, and there probably is a thread already, but can you please help me??

How can I add an image in a shape? like this one?

I appreciate all help, and sorry if its been shown before.

photoshophelp.jpg

Thank you

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello Darren and welcome to PSG.

You may have to be a little more specific, you have typed "shape". There are several shapes in this image.

Adding the shapes is just a matter of creating new layers for each and then creating the shapes with one of the tools.

When I have more info I can show you more.

Thank you so much for replying - I would like to add a ''HEADSHOT'' on the TRIANGLE like in this picture.

Hello Darren and welcome to PSG.

You may have to be a little more specific, you have typed "shape". There are several shapes in this image.

Adding the shapes is just a matter of creating new layers for each and then creating the shapes with one of the tools.

When I have more info I can show you more.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ok, show me the photo (headshot) you want to use.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Never mind on posting the headshot.

Select your headshot, remove it's background.
Screen Shot 2015-08-17 at 11.31.42 AM.png

On a new layer below the headshot, create a triangle. I used the Pen Tool.
Screen Shot 2015-08-17 at 11.32.03 AM.png

Highlight the headshot layer.
Cmd/Cntrl + click the triangles thumnail to create a selection.
Screen Shot 2015-08-17 at 11.32.44 AM.png

Then hit the add layer mask icon located at the bottom left side of the layer panel.
Your image will look like this.....
Screen Shot 2015-08-17 at 11.33.02 AM.png

Highlight the layer mask in your layers panel, you will see white brackets around the layer mask.
Select your Brush Tool.
With black as your foreground color, brush in the top og the head.
Screen Shot 2015-08-17 at 11.33.26 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-08-17 at 11.33.54 AM.png

Done
Screen Shot 2015-08-17 at 11.35.11 AM.png

With a few added effects.

Screen Shot 2015-08-17 at 11.45.24 AM.png

Last edited:

Dom

Re: Make an image appear partially inside and partially outside a frame or other shap

Nicely done Sam.

Re: Make an image appear partially inside and partially outside a frame or other shap

Thank you so much Sam,

You have explained so perfect that even I can understand it.

Really appreciate it!!! AWESOME WORK!!

I'll show you how it turns out - if I struggle, are you able to email me that psd lol

Never mind on posting the headshot.

Select your headshot, remove it's background.
View attachment 57941

On a new layer below the headshot, create a triangle. I used the Pen Tool.
View attachment 57942

Highlight the headshot layer.
Cmd/Cntrl + click the triangles thumnail to create a selection.
View attachment 57943

Then hit the add layer mask icon located at the bottom left side of the layer panel.
Your image will look like this.....
View attachment 57944

Highlight the layer mask in your layers panel, you will see white brackets around the layer mask.
Select your Brush Tool.
With black as your foreground color, brush in the top og the head.
View attachment 57945

View attachment 57946

Done
View attachment 57947

With a few added effects.

View attachment 57948

your advice and tutorial was amazing...... my efforts are shocking though!!! :( any help?

Screen Shot 2015-08-18 at 10.54.28.png

Darren, this looks like a selection problem with your original headshot. It appears to have a white (or light) background. Look at some tutorials on YouTube, or wherever, on how to select your subject from the background. This should solve the problem. You can start here - https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ps+make+selection+using+channels

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Great work Darren! I agree with AM in that you will have to work on your selection process. Just watch some the tutorials on hair selection that he linked you with.

Another thing that has raised my curiosity, is that you seem to be trying to make some type of frame animation
as can be seen in your screenshot, notice the frame in the timeline.....
Screen Shot 2015-08-18 at 9.39.43 AM.png

Just wondering if you have done this on purpose?

Thanks to the both of you for suggestions on YouTube videos

I don't know what happened there, was by mistake.

I'll watch and see what I can do, and show you guys.

Thank you,
Great work Darren! I agree with AM in that you will have to work on your selection process. Just watch some the tutorials on hair selection that he linked you with.

Another thing that has raised my curiosity, is that you seem to be trying to make some type of frame animation
as can be seen in your screenshot, notice the frame in the timeline.....
View attachment 57981

Just wondering if you have done this on purpose?

I am just not good at this :( I've watched a couple of those videos and am super confused. channels and layers and red and blue and mask. I've got some studying to do.

Darren, this looks like a selection problem with your original headshot. It appears to have a white (or light) background. Look at some tutorials on YouTube, or wherever, on how to select your subject from the background. This should solve the problem. You can start here - https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ps+make+selection+using+channels