What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help! - Create a net in Photoshop?

Oprawindfury

Hello!

I'll jump right into it, found this website and somehow the background really caught my attention. Tried to make myself a copy in Photoshop but not with desired look.

Skärmavbild 2016-01-06 kl. 20.42.25.png

Does anyone know if this is made in Photoshop and if, how could i recreate it? (EDIT. It's only the background]

Thanks in advance
Cheers!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What a great question. I have no idea...........yet.

This looks like a geographic 3D framework. Will have to do some checking and experimenting.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What do you mean? If you asking how or what I did...............I cheated! LOL!! :devilish:

Here it is in blue.
Screen Shot 2016-01-06 at 2.08.34 PM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
As I cheated, I think this thread would be better served if we were to figure out a way to actually create the net rather than use the existing one from the example you provided.

However, if your not really interested in creating one yourself, and would be perfectly content with using the one I found, then I will tell you how I did it via PM. Just let us know so our members don't make efforts to help you with creating the net from scratch.

Tom Mann

Guru
I doubt you will like this approach, but there is a big $$$ commercial oil, mining, and geographic mapping application, "Surfer", that does stuff like this for a living, LOL. For example, see the example in the lower RH corner of this screen grab demo:
https://www.rockware.com/assets/products/129/overview/lobby/surfer9-1.jpg.

Maybe Surfer's demo package would give you what you want.

I'm pretty sure other scientific plotting packages such as Matlab, Mathematica, and Origin can also be made to produce plots like this, but (in general), they also are big $$$ applications and they are so incredibly general, that you would have to spend an appreciable amount of time learning how to set each of them up to get this particular look.

If you don't want to go this route, then maybe the best approach is to find a reasonably similar image on the web, check that it can be legally used, and then modify it in PS to be what you want, kinda like Sam did, LOL.

Tom M

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Tom, I'm getting a, "We're sorry, but the page you're looking for does not exist.", error on your link above.

Oprawindfury

You can PM if you like, I'm up for everything i can learn. :shocked:

Keep the thread, I'm still trying to figure, and i will post results even tho I'm not even close :bangdesk:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It works if you click on the middle button of the mouse
I don't have a middle button on my mouse................I don't have any buttons on my mouse.......it's a magic mouse.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Oprawindfury....

I did something like this years ago..... If you have the equipment and patience..... I took a white mosquito netting material which I spread over a dark black background and took a photo of it.

If I remember correctly what I did...... In PS, I enhanced the brigthness to bring out the white more, converted it to grayscale, CTRL+click the grayscale layer to select the gray pixels, Inversed selection, added a new layer and filled white. This white netting image with no background is what you can use.

MrToM

Guru
IamSam

I have the same problem as yourself with that link but if I copy the URL from my browser and paste it right back into the same place it then works.

Navigating through the 'Sufer' links from the home page also works.

Strange thing is the URL to the image is exactly the same as Mr Mann posted....but for some reason access is denied via a link. (The only difference is the link from here has a linefeed at the end..?)

Very strange indeed.

surfer9-1.jpg

Regards.
MrToM.

Tom Mann

Guru
Sam - Sorry, I don't know what's going on with the link, either, but thank you very much MrToM for posting the image that I was talking about. I just got back home and was about to do that myself after I saw all the problems that link was giving people.

@OpraW - Just tilt the plane from being a view down from above to just skimming the surface of the "mountains" so that you see more creases and folds in the surface topography, increase the density of lines, and you'll pretty much have what you see in the example.

Tom M.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well I like it if no one else does! I would love to know how you did it.