What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't remove the tile pattern on text/image layers with transparent bg

presafresca

Hi gurus, I'm a new member and I'm in need of serious help. I'm working on a very important poster and it's due tomorrow. Something happened and I'm not sure if I accidentally did something, but CTRL+Z or CTRL+ALT+Z just wouldn't undo the "damage".

glitch.png

There's a "C"-looking tile pattern on my document. I figured this is present on layers with transparent background. Each leaf is an individual layer. Hiding one leaf layer also hides the pattern surrounding the leaf object. This is the same for text layers. Also, I can erase the pattern. But I don't want to do that much erasing because this is a HUGE document and I'm already losing my sanity every time I make some changes.

I honestly don't know what's wrong. I thought it was a program glitch, but the pattern also appears on the saved image file. Duplicating some layers to a fresh document didn't help as well.

glitch1.png

Look at those tiles of C's. That's a screenshot of a portion of the new file. I duplicated the coffee layer, which is of a transparent background. The image backdrop has no C tiles because it's a solid image stretched across the canvas.

I replaced the backdrop with a black canvas. You can see the supposed transparency around the coffee beans. At the lower right corner, I tried to erase it.

glitch2.png

But when there is no background layer at all, just the coffee PNG layer, it looks like this.

glitch3.png

I don't find them on blank layers though.

PLEASE HELP. Thanks in advance.

Edit: It's only the existing files in that document. Adding new image layers with clear bg are not affected. Please dont advise me to do it all over again :(

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello. I can see that you have a problem but it's difficult to determine what the problem might be without seeing the PSD file.

You need to create an all white and an all black layer at the bottom of the layer stack, then turn off all other layers and and go through them one by one until you find the offending layer. Compare each layer to both a white and the black background.

To me, the remnant looks like it could be text. But if through some merging process you did that you can't back up to, you may have to take the time to mask out the the C-like pattern.

presafresca

Hello. I can see that you have a problem but it's difficult to determine what the problem might be without seeing the PSD file.

You need to create an all white and an all black layer at the bottom of the layer stack, then turn off all other layers and and go through them one by one until you find the offending layer. Compare each layer to both a white and the black background.

To me, the remnant looks like it could be text. But if through some merging process you did that you can't back up to, you may have to take the time to mask out the the C-like pattern.

I couldn't upload the PSB file here. It's too huge. Right now, I'm trying to work on redoing it :( But not completely, since the bad layers are those which I've applied brushed artificial shadows onto. Just had to redo those. I was just really shocked and clueless how it even happened. I still hope there was a way to undo it all at once.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I couldn't upload the PSB file here. It's too huge
Yeah........you would probably have to use a hosting site and a link.

I was hoping it was only a layer mask. I was also afraid that you may have to redo or start from the beginning. Sorry we couldn't be more helpful.

presafresca

Yeah........you would probably have to use a hosting site and a link.

I was hoping it was only a layer mask. I was also afraid that you may have to redo or start from the beginning. Sorry we couldn't be more helpful.

How's the layer mask?

presafresca

I don't know how you set up your layers. If you used any layer masking, that's often times the culprit.
Clipping mask only on images to create artificial shadowing. But I only use brush for that. It's strange to find text tile pattern and on every similar layer.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It's strange to find text tile pattern and on every similar layer.
We don't know for sure if it was text. I just said it looked like it could be. I also think it could be remnants from your original selection process. Again, it's hard for me to tell without seeing the PSD file.

presafresca

This sounds odd to me. It's really not the proper way to use a clipping mask.
I'm only self taught so I only do what really works for me. I have so much more to learn about PS.
Here's the kind of shadowing (well, in this case, lighting) I do using clipping mask.

ab.png aa.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Can you show a screen shot of the layers panel.............the layers where you use the clipping mask?

presafresca

Can you show a screen shot of the layers panel.............the layers where you use the clipping mask?

Sure. Sorry, my layers are all over the place. I've hidden the bad layers. But you can see the logo's condition.

aaa.png

I'll give you the psb file in a bit. I'm uploading it to Google Drive at the moment.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I wish I could help. I'm stuck without the PSD file.

Hopefully one of our other members will have an idea. Good luck!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here's the kind of shadowing (well, in this case, lighting) I do using clipping mask.
OK.........now I see what your doing. You're using the clipping mask to add highlights with the Brush Tool. I though you were referring to creating shadows.

Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 11.26.22 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 11.26.34 AM.png

With a different color I can do both highlights and shading.

Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 11.30.52 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 11.33.14 AM.png

The drop shadow/shadowing would need to be in a layer style or it's own layer below.
Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 11.36.25 AM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well.......it was a text layer. This second one here in the layers panel. Somehow it's involved.............still searching the file.

Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 11.41.58 AM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The file is acting very peculiar. It keeps crashing my Ps.

Based on what I can see, that second text layer somehow contaminated the rest of the document. It affects all the other layers.

I'm not at all sure what has caused the problem, I don't know if it was something you did or your Ps malfunctioned. Unfortunately, based on what little I see, you may need to start from scratch with a new document.

Perhaps one of our other members can take a look at it without it crashing.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I know it's not much of a consolation here, but when I work on large projects, I of course constantly save as I go along. BUT, when it reaches a certain point, I save the project (save as) under a new name so I can always come back to that point if something goes wrong. This practice has saved me hours of work before!!!

presafresca

Thanks for the tip. This never happened to me before. It's kinda disturbing to me how it's acting like a bad virus lol. Anyway, thanks for checking it out. I'm still working on the new file. I hope someone figures out what went wrong.