What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D 3D Layer Corrupted?

Viewtiful

Hello,

I'm dabbling with 3D for the first time and have extruded and manipulated two layers so far. Both layers have an open eye to indicate visibility, but only one layer is visible.

If I select my "Muffs" layer, I can see various options displayed in the properties palette and also in the 3D palette;

01.png

If I select my "Yellow" layer, it appears to have lost its 3D properties and the only option displayed is "3D Camera". If I click the original 2D object in the Yellow Layer > Diffuse > Yellow, a dialog box pops up advising that the object has been used in multiple places - if it has I don't know how this was done or if it relates to the cause. If I click OK, the 2D object is displayed in a new tab.

02.png

How can I repair the Yellow layer in question and bring back the extrusion, diffusion and everything else I've done to it? If it's easier, I can provide a link to the .PSD.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

MrToM

Guru
What happens if you turn on the 'Diffuse' and 'Normal' layers?

missing_layer_A_01.png

Regards.
MrTom.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MrT, I think if the layers were turned off, they would appear like this.........

Off
Screen Shot 2015-03-19 at 8.10.12 AM.png

On
Screen Shot 2015-03-19 at 8.12.02 AM.png

His layers are 'greyed out'.

This is very odd to me. We need more information.

This "yellow' layer...........what is it and why can't we see it?

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
Ah......good point MrSam!

I admit I didn't try this....it was really a stab in the dark.

@Viewtiful
Can you supply the file so we can play around with it?

Regards.
MrTom.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Now he's gone................

We scared him off! :rofl:

Viewtiful

Thank you for the responses.

I'm at work right now and unfortunately, my workstation doesn't have 3D capabilities, so can't open the file without rasterising it.

The yellow layer is just a yellow emoji. Going from memory, I've tried showing/hiding various sublayers but could not due to them being greyed out.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Welcome back!

Post your PSD or a link to it when you can. Thanks.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I took a look at the PSD. The layer marked Yellow, is completely blank. Whatever was there is now gone. I suggest you delete the layer and try again.

What was supposed to be in this layer?

MrToM

Guru
I had a look too and although I did find the yellow head image / icon I had no idea what to do with it.

Yellow.png

Kudos for dabbling with it, but I think that's about all anyone does do with it.....dabble.

PS as an image editor is arguably the best there is but for 3D.....nah. To overly complex for what it produces.....but that's Adobe all over really.

Sorry I couldn't be of any more help......just keep dabbling! :thumbsup:

Regards.
MrTom.

Last edited:

Viewtiful

IamSam MrTom, thank you both for taking the time to look at the file. You're right MrTom, in that the original 2D image is still present and correct when double clicking on the Yellow sublayer;

Yellow.png

I've tried my hand at 3D with Illustrator and applying a texture (or a "symbol" in Illustrator speak), was one of the most painful experiences of my life - I never want to do any 3D work in Illustrator ever again. Which is why I've dipped my toes in 3D with Photoshop and I just wanted to confirm it wasn't something stupid I've done. Thank you again.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yes, I now see it's present in the "sub layer", but it's not present on the "ACTIVE LAYER".

Screen Shot 2015-03-20 at 8.04.40 AM.png

If it were on the active layer, it would look something like this...

Screen Shot 2015-03-20 at 8.18.47 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-03-20 at 8.21.08 AM.png

Last edited:

Viewtiful

I'll chalk this one up to a corrupted layer and from your advice, there's no fix, other than to open the original 2D image in the sublayer, import it as a new layer and redo any 3D effects.

Another 3D Photoshop annoyance (of a few I've already encountered) is that following a 3D extrusion, colours become muted. It's apparent when comparing the 2D yellow emoji and the 3D yellow emoji images in IamSam's post above. Turning the infinite light off the 3D layer doesn't make a difference. Is there another 3D lighting setting or shading of some sort I need to disable to retain the original colours?

Last edited: