What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Am trying to replcate this photo effect

zoe20

Power User
Hi Gurus as its Saturday no office and i opened my favorite Photoshop and tried to replicate a photo effect i come across on a web page.I added and used the photo filter and tried to play with exposure etc...But am close enough.Gurus plz guide me through.Also i attached the original image, my effort image and the layered psd.

This is the original Image :

zoe1.jpg

This is my effort thus far :

zoe-test.jpg

This is Layers stack in psd :

layers.png

This is Layered PSD :

http://www.mediafire.com/?tmyavkpz995pfc1

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
I may be staring it in the face but which of the images you've posted is the original, un-edited version that we can use to find you a solution?

I couldn't find one in the PSD file either.

Also, what is it you are trying to do....just the pattern overlay?

Sorry to ask but its just a little confusing as to what's what and the ultimate goal....for me anyway.

Regards.
MrToM.

zoe20

Power User
MrToM thanks for the reply.i posted bot the original and the my worked out images in the 1st post itself. Am attaching them again here . i want to achieve that old photo look like in the original.I don't know technically what that effect is called

Original image :

zoe1.jpg

This is my attempt :

zoe-header1.jpg

MrToM

Guru
...MrToM thanks for the reply...
No worries.

...I posted bot the original and the my worked out images in the 1st post itself...
I appreciate that but we need a version without YOUR edits on it.

The original has the red circle and those white triangles.
YOUR edit has YOUR edits on it.....so...

...we need an UNEDITED version so that WE can work on it....in other words the same image YOU worked on WITHOUT the red circle and white triangles.

Ya see what I'm getting at?

At the moment we don't have an UNEDITED version of the image YOU are using....even the layer in your PSD file is YOUR flattened edit....NOT the original image without anything on it.

Or am I missing something here?

Regards.
MrToM.

zoe20

Power User
Mr ToM ok this is the original one.Untouched

original_image.jpg

@chrisdesign which color you used for the multiply layer blend mode? Also photofilter won't work ? As i already used on it .

This is anew version.
I started with the untouched pic.
1original_image-1.jpg

I added a new layer and filled it with the color picked up from the red circle in Pic 2.
2zoe1 Color pick.jpg

3original_image-1 + Color layer.jpg
This layer I set to multiply 100%.
Pic 3 is the new result.

Bildschirmfoto 2016-10-14 um 18.34.22.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Zoe, here's what I noticed.

There seems to be a pattern overlay of some type that is contributing to this effect.
Screen Shot 2016-10-14 at 2.47.32 PM.png

Here's what I did to match the coloration as close as I could.
I first chose an area to sample from. The area had to remain fairly consistent with both the altered and the original image.
I used guidelines to define the area for both.
Screen Shot 2016-10-14 at 2.57.01 PM.png

When I sampled from this area on the altered image you provided using the Info Panel, it read.....
R 211
G 206
B184

I then created a Solid Color adjustment layer in the same color
Screen Shot 2016-10-14 at 2.57.30 PM.png

I changed the Solid Color Adjustment layers blend mode to multiply.
This of course changed the color reading from the info panel so I adjusted the opacity (74%) until I came fairly close with a setting of...
R 212
G 203
B 182

Though the image appears different because it's lacking the pattern, the color is very close.
Mind you, these are screen shots so the colors may be off from the original image.

Original
Screen Shot 2016-10-14 at 3.12.58 PM.png

Mine
Screen Shot 2016-10-14 at 2.59.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-14 at 3.00.19 PM.png