What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyway to reduce flashglare from shiny skin?

Mads Hildebrandt

I've got this macroshot of a grasshopper, not that it is any speciel, but I would like to learn if there are some ways to reduce that glare in the skin from the flashes? I know, it should be done by softening the light in the first place, but that's a little too late now.
I know I can just clone stamp it out, but that removes those small droplets in the cheek, which would be a shame. Is there any way to give that white glare a more greenish color to make it blend more with the skin?
I've tried to just paint over the white parts with a green brush and lower the opacity, but there must be a better solution. Also tried to clone stamp it and lower the opacity.

How would you guys go about it?DSC_4039.jpg

colleague

Guru
I would do that like this

1 fill selection with content aware
2 add a 50% grey layer with mode "linear light" for dodge and burn
3 add a layer with mode 'color' to correct colors with brush if needed
4 merge all vissible in a new layer to clean with healing brush
5 make top-layer with mode "soft light" to brush shadow-highlights with black and white

see also PSD - https://www.dropbox.com/s/mwjlrvx55623e5f/grasshopper.psd?dl=0

Attachments

• grasshopper.jpg
    grasshopper.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 3

colleague

Guru
if you want the small droplets back , you can lower the opacity to ~ 58 % and use a mask for the droplets

Attachments

• grasshopper with droplets.jpg
    grasshopper with droplets.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 3

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Double click your SO.

When the psb document opens, create a new layer.
Select your Clone Stamp Tool and Brush Tool and get to work.
Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 10.43.33 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 10.43.43 AM.png

Close the psb and save.

Mads Hildebrandt

Looks good, but why not just create a new layer in the normal layers panel? What is the benefit in doing it on a smart object?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Looks good, but why not just create a new layer in the normal layers panel? What is the benefit in doing it on a smart object?
None. Per our previous conversation, the layer would already be a SO, so why not use it? This also eliminates the need for "stamped visible layers" or clipped adjustment layers in the "normal" layers panel. It's all in how you want to look at it.

Mads Hildebrandt

I'm not sure why I would need to stamp visible layer or clipped adjustments layer!?! I would just create a new layer and do all my cloning in that. I will "always" be able to go back to that layer and make adjustments to that layer, ain't that right?
Also, when working in the psb document, I can't see the changes in the image which has been already applied, making it a bit harder visualizing the result of the clone-work.

(Please, read my posts as me being curious and wanting to learn, I'm not trying to state stuff or sound like I know anything, but given english is not my native language, my sentences could sound otherwise because it ain't as nuanced as one who speaks fluently)

fredfish

Guru
I've got this macroshot of a grasshopper, not that it is any speciel, but I would like to learn if there are some ways to reduce that glare in the skin from the flashes? I know, it should be done by softening the light in the first place, but that's a little too late now.
I know I can just clone stamp it out, but that removes those small droplets in the cheek, which would be a shame. Is there any way to give that white glare a more greenish color to make it blend more with the skin?
I've tried to just paint over the white parts with a green brush and lower the opacity, but there must be a better solution. Also tried to clone stamp it and lower the opacity.

How would you guys go about it?View attachment 77284

Sorry slightly off topic because I am not answering your question - but I don't know if anybody has said that it is a great image - nice piece of macro work. Just sayin!

Cheers

John

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
(Please, read my posts as me being curious and wanting to learn, I'm not trying to state stuff or sound like I know anything, but given english is not my native language, my sentences could sound otherwise because it ain't as nuanced as one who speaks fluently)
No worries, I understand.

As I have already stated, there are no advantages to making the edit in the SO. Not knowing the workflow below or above the clone stamp work is limiting my answer. Only you know what you have in mind for the image.

Also, when working in the psb document, I can't see the changes in the image which has been already applied, making it a bit harder visualizing the result of the clone-work.
Of course. But had the project been planned correctly form the start, this would not be an issue. As I think I have previously mentioned, you should have started with a SO and there would be no changes below it. BUT.........if there are changes below the SO layer, don't use the SO for the clone work. This is about common sense.

Pipsmom

Guru
Just stopped by to say how much I really enjoyed viewing your second grasshopper picture, it almost looks human in the eyes ....I couldn't help but to keep staring at it it's such a intersting imagine. Good job

Mads Hildebrandt

Thanks, pipsmom. I really enjoy shooting macros. You are alway welcome to follow me on instagram, madshildebrandt, there I have, and will, upload more macros.