What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Applying layer mask to just one layer

Shane Slater

Hi guys, very new here.
Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 20.22.59.png
In this screenshot i'm basically trying to make the hands fade, as they are (done using layer mask and gradient tool), but then having the mask apply only to the hands. The aim is to have something in the background and not having the hands transparent to it, and the background image unaffected by the fade.
Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 20.40.42.png
Here's is an example...The line is on a layer below but still affected by the mask and seen above the hands.

Thank you in advance

fredfish

Guru
I think you need to use clipping.

Right click on the layer and select "Create clipping mask" then the mask will only affect the layer it is clipped to.

Cheers

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
In this screenshot i'm basically trying to make the hands fade, as they are (done using layer mask and gradient tool), but then having the mask apply only to the hands. The aim is to have something in the background and not having the hands transparent to it, and the background image unaffected by the fade.

There are two ways of of doing this.

You have to place the white line layer above the hands layer and add another layer mask to white line layer using the hands as a selection.
Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 2.00.45 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 2.00.58 AM.png

However you will see the blunted ends of the hands because the layer mask on the hands layer is not affecting the white line layer.
You can eliminate the blunting by using the Brush Tool and a soft brush set to white on the White lines layer mask.
Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 2.07.59 AM.png

If you you want to fade the ends of the white lines.......
You add a radial gradient to the white lines layer mask.
Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 2.05.10 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 2.05.18 AM.png