What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blowing Out a Background White

aztec73

I've been trying to figure out how to do this effect FOREVER. See how the city in the background is blown out white, yet still maintains its structure and looks neat and clean. I wish it were just taking down the saturation or something simple. But I have a feeling it's more complicated. Curious if anyone has any ideas. Thanks!

tb.jpg

fredfish

Guru
Probably the simplest way is to put the BW version of the image on a layer above a White layer and then simply drop the Opacity of the B&W layer until you get thee desired effect.

Cheers

John

aztec73

Thanks John! Actually doing what you suggest, and then adjusting the exposure seems to do it pretty close. Your suggestion is too simple that I pretty much overlooked doing it entirely. Sometimes we overlook the obvious.

I appreciate your help!

Last edited:

fredfish

Guru