What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bridge CC trying to open PS CS3 instead of CC

Paul-H

Hi all

I am looking for some help with a Bridge CC to PS CC configuration issue I have

In bridge if I right click an image and select open it opens in Photoshop as it should, but if I right click and go to Open With Photoshop it tries to open with Photoshop CS3 which is not on my system, I have check the image preferences in Bridge and they are set correctly to open the image in PS CC.

Anyone know how to get the open with Photoshop option to open in PC CC instead of trying CS3

Thanks for any help with this

Paul

gedstar

Guru
Hi Paul

Found this, I'm assuming your on Windows
This is a fix suggested a year ago when one uninstalls a previous version and fouls up file associations. Look similar??

So I went into the Registry, HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Photoshop.exe\shell\open\command, and changed the (Default) from "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5 (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe" "%1" to "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe" "%1" (so changed CS5 to CS6) - and now I see 'Adobe Photoshop CS6' in my 'Open with' list when right-clicking an image...

View attachment 51424

And you could try this if the above doesn't work
http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs5-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Forgot to mention if you need to edit the registry just type regedit in the command prompt and when you find the entry just double clink on the word Default to edit it!

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
Has CS3 ever been on your system?
If you open the image in PS does the right version of Bridge open when you use:
File > Browse In Bridge
File > Close and Go to Bridge

I haven't yet established if Bridge uses the same right click 'open with' list as the OS, at first glance it doesn't appear to be the case and that wouldn't surprise me....like Microsoft, Adobe like to do things 'their' way.

@gedstar suggestion is perfect for the OS, works fine, and if Bridge uses the same reg entry then it should solve your problem.

If CS3 has been installed / removed previously then maybe cleaning the registry would help....not all 'uninstalls' remove the reg links associated with them and sometimes old 'links' can take priority over new ones.

All that of course is assuming you are on a Windows System.

If gedstars suggestion doesn't work entirely it's certainly an excellent starting point regardless.

Regards.
MrTom.

PS.
If you are on Windows MAKE A BACKUP of the REGISTRY before editing it !!!!!
(Pref on your C: drive so it can be accessed easily if you need it)

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
This makes interesting reading too...

Bad Bridge Behaviour

...except the bit about re-installing PS.....gedstars solution should have the same effect without a re-install.

Regards.
MrTom.

Paul-H

Hi all

Thanks for the replies

Yes its on a Windows System and yes CS3 was at one time installed.

I did try the method shown by Gedstar and changed the entry from "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5 (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe" "%1" to "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe" "%1" but that made no difference.

Paul

MrToM

Guru
In that case it may be worthwhile clearing out the old CS3 completely....un-installs can leave stuff behind.

Use the CC Cleaner Tool to clean out any CS3 debris.
USE THAT LINK TO DOWNLOAD ONLY.....DO NOT FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THAT PAGE.

Once downloaded run it....it's a command line app but don't panic....its very easy to use.

Enter 'e' for English.
Enter 'y' to accept the agreement.

CS3 is then shown as an option in a list...

CC Cleaner Tool.png

Enter the number for CS3 and let the tool do its thing.

See if that helps any....probably not but at least its a start.

Regards.
MrTom.

Hoogle

Guru
have you gone to edit > preferences in bridge and re-associated file types from photoshop cs3 to photoshop cs6 etc
Capture.PNG

gedstar

Guru
Hi all

Thanks for the replies

Yes its on a Windows System and yes CS3 was at one time installed.

I did try the method shown by Gedstar and changed the entry from "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5 (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe" "%1" to "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe" "%1" but that made no difference.

Paul

Hi Paul not sure which version of windows your using but I'm on windows 8.1 and the reg entry is "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2014\Photoshop.exe" "%1"
as in the screen shot above, you said you changed it to "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe" "%1"
Maybe you entered the wrong value!

Last edited:

gedstar

Guru
Doesn't it need quotes because of the spaces in the file path?

Mine is quoted and works fine.

Regards.
MrTom.

Doh :banghead: silly me, maybe one beer to many :rofl:

Well spotted MrTom

Post corrected :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Paul-H

Hi all

Right this time I tried the correct entry in regedit as it should have been CC 2014 not CC (64bit) but that still made no difference.

I also tried the clean tool but when I selected CS3 it reported that it was not on the system so gave no clean option.

Re the reference above to file type associations I have set that and double clicking the thumbnail will open CC as will the option to open Photoshop CC 2014 but the option to open in Photoshop still tries to open CS3

I suppose I should just avoid the open in Photoshop option but it would be nice to have both open in photoshop and open in Lightroom as it is supposed to offer two open options in the open with box.

Thanks again for the help

Paul

gedstar

Guru
Hi Paul

There must be a reason why CS3 is showing up, there's 2 other options that I can thing of

1 searching the registry for Photoshop CS3 entries, open regedit and select Computer and use ctrl + F key and search the registry for Photoshop CS3 entries and delete what you find.
Be careful to only delete CS3 entries

2 Use the Cleaner tool as mentioned by MrTom to remove all Photoshop installs and use RegSeeker to search for Photoshop entries in the registry
http://www.hoverdesk.net/download.php
You could also try CCleaner
https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download
Reinstall Photoshop CC

One more option would be to create a new user profile on the PC and see if you still have the issue!

Last edited:

Paul-H

Hi all

Thanks for all the help and tips for this problem.

The manual clean-out of the registry finally sorted the problem and Bridge is no longer trying to open Photoshop CS.

Thanks

Paul