What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changing the tonal range of 1 layer in Photoshop

MISSZJ2011

I am trying to create a children's textile/wallpaper design portfolio digitally and I'd like to know how to change a scan of a hand-painted motif into a tonal range of 1 colour in photoshop.

I discovered the duotone trick, but this changes the whole file (whilst flattening all layers), whereas I want the flexibility of being able to change the motifs on each layer to different colours

I've tried options in the adjustment bar, however these just add colour to the existing colour. Say I have a pink image and want to make it yellow, using the adjustment bar options always seems to keeps an amount of pink in it so it never becomes a true bright yellow, it will always have a browny tinge to it. Also the tiny colour wheel bar in the Hue/Saturation option isn't ideal at picking an exact colour.

My main aim is to try and incorporate my sketches & paintings into my designs, to allow me to work quicker rather than purely working by hand, so I want the flexibility of being able to easily changing colours as I create each design.

Any tips would be much appreciated as I seem to be going round in circles trying to figure out how to do this!!

Thanks in advance

handbag 3 a.jpg
Here is an example.
If I split the orange to 1 layer, yellow on another and red on another. I then want to change say the yellow to pink, ideally to an exact pantone or rgb shade...
Thanks!

Try Hue/Saturation and change Hue. You can use it as Adjustment layer and use mask with it.

Thanks SeniorS... however the tiny colour bar in the saturation/hue option of the adjustment bar is very restrictive. Say I want to change a colour to a pale pink, I can only select a bright pink.
However I have discovered the Colorize button and increased the saturation which makes the colours truer without mixing with the existing colour.

Where is that color choosing (Master/Red...etc). Choose any one. And just click with eye droper on color you want to change. You can add other color or shades by presing SHIFT+click. It'll select your chosen color and now use hue to change it.

Thanks SeniorS... however the tiny colour bar in the saturation/hue option of the adjustment bar is very restrictive. Say I want to change a colour to a pale pink, I can only select a bright pink.

If you still intrested in it read this Photoshop CS3 especially section - "Specify the range of colors adjusted in the Hue/Saturation command"

Also, the saturation and lightness sliders will give you more options in a particular hue. In other words, a pink with the lightness down and the saturation up will give you a hot pink. Increase the lightness and you get more of a shell pink color.

Each hue has literally endless adjustments if you play around with it a little.

Good luck!

Here are two methods I used. The thing about the hue saturation, for what you are doing, you need to check the "colorize" box. IDK if there is a way to specify an exact color this way. You can make your selection, use the color picker for specifying an exact color, then fill your selection. I did this by making selection outline, make new layer vi copy or cut, select color range for white or use preferred selection tool. Ctl click the layer to load the selection of the pink color only and fill with new foreground color. (if your selection has a halo you can get rid of that by Load selection, inverse selection (shift-ctl-i), press delete.

Attachments

• handbag.jpg
    handbag.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 1

Back