What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cut, copy layer to new file

OPenBSd

Hi,
i have 3 group layer ( test1 - test 2 - test ) ! now can i cut or copy only this group ( test2 ) layer to new file ??

Thanks

Simply Select the entire canvas.... CTRL+C to copy canvass plus image.... CTRL+N to open new doc using the original images document size ..... PASTE...

OR DRAG.....

Hope this is what you mean

Select layer 2. Select all (CTRL+A), Copy (CTRL+C) and Paste (CTRL+V) it in new document. If you have mask on that layer then you'll have to apply that mask or drag and drop it to new layer.
Anyway drag&drop works on layer too but positioning can be tricky.

Gimme five, S.... lol...

to add on to that drag layer positioning problem, I'd select the layer image canvass, add a stoke on the inside, and drag it to the new canvas using the stroke edge to center everything. then I'd delete the stroke.

5 and 5 (you beat me twice in a row) :)

dv8_fx you forgot about posible mask issue with copy/paste :lol: (that i was writing while you write and don't want to delete it, i'm so slow)

I just figured out another method. OPenBSd it's not worth for trying but for knowing that there is such thing too.

1. Make new document, new layer in it.
2. Choose Image/Apply Image.
There in Source choose document with that layer need to be copied and set Layer to that layer. In Target set Blending Mode to Normal (Opacity 100%).

That actually works with masked layers too just new layer will be with that mask applied. :)

And as hawkeye says - "there is many ways to shave the cat" :)

So let's shave it one another way just for fun. Dublicate image, delete all other layers (can be done fast by switching on layer visibility only on one layer and delete all invisible layer with layer panel menu) but needed. Set Canvas size big/small as needed.

Back