What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Duplicating a layer mask across multiple layers

Alun

I have imported a video as layers into Photoshop and there are now 25 layers. I want to mask an area in all but one of the layers to make an animated GIF. I create the layer mask on Layer 2 and I've have found I can copy the same mask to another layer by clicking and dragging it there whilst holding down the Alt key

My question is how can I apply the same mask to say 24 layers at the same time rather than individually?

Thanks in advance

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
You can create a new layer above the layers you need to mask and apply a mask to it. This means the layer that doen't need masking has to be the topmost layer....

My question is what is the mask for?

Alun

Thanks for the reply - I'm trying to build a cinemagraph using masks to mask out video layers like this. The masks are all identical as they just show the isolated areas of movement in each frame

fvzlug.gif

Paul MR

The Script Master
This script should do the job, it requires Photoshop CS3 or better and the layer with the mask selected along with all the other layers that want the mask.

It looks for a layer that has a mask, then copies that mask to all the other selected layers.

Attachments

• Copy Mask To Selected Layers.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 197

Alun

thanks for the reply and the file. I'm using CS5 and when i expand the zip file (33k) using Stuffit it creates a file with a .cpgz suffix of only 8k - am I doing something wrong?

hawkeye

Guru
You could put the 25 layers into a group and add the layer mask to the group folder.

Paul MR

The Script Master
You should be able to double click on the zip file to open it, and the file inside will have an extension of .jsx
The script should be placed into the following folder:-
PC: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe PhotoshopCS5\Presets\Scripts
MAC: <hard drive>/Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS5/Presets/Scripts
If Photoshop was open close and restart it so that it canpick up the new script.
To use:-
Select your layers
File - Scripts - select the script

quistyle

Hi. Thanks for providing the script. However... whenever I run it, it crashes PS.
I'm running CS5 on OSX leopard. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?